MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....

i'm having a very rough idle and I can hear my fuel pump whining like a little ukranian girl about her lack of nutrition.

When I'm at around 4-5krpms I can hear it pre-detonating/bogging. I figure it's the fuel pump on its way out? Agh, I don't know, I'm such a noob.

I already have a Walbro 255lph fuel pump on its way. Even if it isn't that, it'd be a nice upgrade anyway.

Also, every time I come to a semi-hard brake, my brake light comes on and then goes off. WTF?

·
Registered
72 Posts
if your brake warning light is coming on, its most likely that you need to top up the fluid !!!

Have you had the ecu warning light come on regards your engine issues ??

J

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, no check engine light. I'm thinking I might have got fluids in the dizzy.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This also started happening RIGHT after I had my 120 watt amp and 6x9 speakers installed. Though I doubt that that could have any affect on it, I'd really just like to pass that off as pure coincidence.

I'm running REALLY rich while idling and REALLY lean up top. I can't really figure it out.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
turn you subs down when boosting j/k..

sounds more like bad electical components. whan was the last time you replaced your plugs wires etc...

Trent

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Possibly, it's really rich while idle and really lean anytime else. The exhaust smells like propane... kind of like how 91 octane smells like.

Plugs were done 4 weeks ago, wires were done about 4-5 months ago.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You can hear detonation. When I didn't have a timing light at the moment I needed one I would have to drive down the road and floor it in a low gear up a hill and listen for knock, then get out back it off and repeat until no knock. This was on a mustang and I know its dangerous blah blah but you can actually hear predetonation, it sounds like a baby rattler under the hood but a little more electrical sounding, lol.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
teezlr said:
You can hear detonation. When I didn't have a timing light at the moment I needed one I would have to drive down the road and floor it in a low gear up a hill and listen for knock, then get out back it off and repeat until no knock. This was on a mustang and I know its dangerous blah blah but you can actually hear predetonation, it sounds like a baby rattler under the hood but a little more electrical sounding, lol.

in an mr2 you wont hear it, if the knock sensor and ecu are doing its job. The mustang isa different story. For our troubled 2 here, what he heard was not 'pre detonation'.

Mark

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fix't, it was a super ultra third gear dirty MAF.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts