MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all,

i am finishing my build on a completely built 3sgte and it is time to address the clutch and flywheel. i am under the impression that a lighter clutch/flywheel/underdrive pulley will be bad for launching and will drop RPMs much faster during off throttle shifts but i think it is better for engine longevity. and since we are using forced induction wont it cause the turbo to spool quicker because you are able to build RPMs quicker.

i guess i am wondering your thoughts and experiences about light weight rotational masses with performances engines. can i work around any down sides with a good tune? will i incur additional vibrations? etc

thank you for your time.

v/r,
steven

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The first thing is to make sure you get your rotating assembly balanced by some one who really knows what they are doing. That will help to keep the vibrations down.

Lightening the rotation mass will slow your initial lanch but you will start making that up very quickly. Preacher Pepe should be in here soon with a master class on lighteningh the rotating mass.

·
Registered
20,013 Posts
i would strongly suggest not getting the underdrive pulley unless it is dampned -- i do have a dampned underdrive pulley available which underdrives the alt only...

but if looking to make faster revs and such a lightened flywheel and lightened clutch kit will make a good improvement -- too bad you don't have a lightened crankshaft to go with it and possiblt the lighter eagle rods as well.... really turns the car into a different beast ;)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
go for it. i have a lightweight flywheel and i love it. getting your rotational assembly balanced is definitely a step in the right direction. i'd also second the advice about keeping your stock pulley system. there just seems to be too much left to question - for me, at least.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've got light rods, pistons, pulley, and flywheel. SHould rev up nice :D

There is no solid arguement against lightented pulleys. Loads for and loads against, so its up to you at the end of the day.

The best argument I heard was that you don't know if the damper is any good on a tuned engine as the harmonics could have easily changed.

Regardless of wether or not you are getting lightened anything, you want it all to be balanced. Get it externally balanced, that way they balance the internals, then sperately balance the externals (flywheel, clutch etc) so they can be changed and balanced again and not upset the complete balance.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am using eagle rods but a stock crank. so you recommend me taking the light weight pulley, clutch and flywheel to the machine shop to have them balanced? i have already had the internals balanced. thank you.

v/r,
steven

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yes. Get them zero balanced, so if any of them need changing, you don't have to get the whole thing apart to be re balanced, they will just be able to again, zero balance the new part and it can bolts straight on and be in balance.

Good luck
Ant
--------------------

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i have this setup :

lightened the crankshaft 3.7 kilo , counterweights are for 40% gone :D
JE pistons , which are much lighter than stock
Eagle rods ... also much lighter than stock.
Ogura flywheel , 10.2 lbs , took 2 lbs off , on the back
Ogura aluminium pressure plate ( VERY LIGHT )
Ogura clutch , which has a smaller diameter ... so its less rotating mass ;)
lightweight damped celica pulley .
lightweight cam gears ( like evrey other aftermarket cam gear is )
aluminium ferrea retainers
toyota MRS shimmless buckets
made my self a cool obx lightweight Alt. pulley :D

anyway , the engine idles allready , and when you hit the throttle it really souns like a ducati .. just they way i planned it.

not sure how it drives ... probarly terrible ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.