MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few thoughts popped into my head the other day, questions really. I began to ponder them on the way back from class.

How does neutral/getting into first work? I mean, is the car in neutral and you have to give it some gas while putting it into first, or is it always "in gear" and you have to hold the brakes (like an auto)? Also, is it possible to bumpstart it?

Sorry, my curiosity got the best of me ;)

-G-

·
Registered
539 Posts
Basically there are 3 positions on the shifter. Reverse at the top, then Neutral, then your forward gears, with an up and down position. After putting it into forward, you press the gas and the clutch engages just like if you had a clutch pedal. If you are stopped, the clutch goes in, and you can roll backwards and forwards if you are on a hill. Also, there aren't paddles behind the steering wheel, just buttons on the wheel. It's actually pretty fun! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
One of the guys here in my office just got a new BMW 540. It is so much complex than the last model he had. He ordered it with the funky auto/manual tranny. Shift-by-wire is weird to me. The shiftnob in the floor is like a joystick and it's like playing a video game...no set gear positions you can just keep bumping the knob to change gears. It does have the steering wheel "paddles". In general the car is so electronically complicated that it's scary. Sweet car though, for a sport sedan. I bit too refined for me though. It automatically gets the downshifts "right" everytime. You have to work REALLY hard to get it to loose traction. I just want to see what happens to all those electronics after 6 years.

Kevin

·
Registered
131 Posts
the bmw m3 comes standard with paddle shifters, the quick stick function is a great thing to have if you/r significant other cant drive stick. the new solara's have the quick stick thats pretty much the same as the 540's but u have to watch the down shifting or it will jerk pretty hard if you go down a gear b4 the speed matches (i learned the hard way)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts