MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through Tirerack it seems Yakaoma S.Drives are being discontinued. Can anyone confirm? That'd be a real shame, as Yokahoma produced them in a zillion different sizes and they were one of two realistic options on Tirerack for 215/40/17 x 235/40/17 staggered sets that are common in our cars. We're getting to the point where we may have to shop lesser known brands like Nankang and Federal, or try a 235/45/17 tire on the rear. I shudder to think of the effects of the latter on my speedo readings.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ah man. I can't find the S.Drives on the Yokohama website, either. They're still available on Amazon, but that may be remaining stock. According to the Yokohama website, you can get the Neova AD08R in most typical sizes for staggered 17/17 and double staggered 17/18 on these cars;

215/40R17
235/40R17
245/40R17
255/40R17
255/35R18
265/35R18

I never hear about these, but they are an extreme performance Yokohama tire after all.

As for Nankang, they actually aren't that much of an obscure brand. They've been around for a long time, but they aren't up there with Yokohama, Michelin, Toyo, Bridgestone, etc. in terms of quality/performance/reputation. I'm currently running their NS-25 All-season tires, and they're honestly fine. They're not impressive, they're not dangerous, they just get the job done in a wide range of temperatures and weather conditions. I can still corner pretty hard in my car, but I understand the limits of tires like these. And unlike some angry internet reviewers, I understand that you don't attempt "performance driving" through turns in the rain on budget friendly tires... in a lightweight sports car. So it can be a viable option, but even I don't want to see all the good summer performance options disappear for these cars. I don't want to stay on "honestly fine" tires forever.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Yeah, not much in matched 215/235/40 sets these days; pretty shocking how they're slowly disappearing under our noses. There's also the Falken Azenis RT615K Plus for now. Hopefully Yoke has a medium to high performance replacement in the works as they did w/ the S. Drive which replaced the ES-100 before it.

But honestly, smaller diameter (under 18), wide tires w/ low aspect ratios are not profit making ventures for tire companies, that's why they're being dropped like hot rocks.

Looks like pressing away the front spring perch nib to make way for 215/45-17 and then using 235/45-17 in the rear is getting to be more of a viable solution. Those two 45 series sizes have close to 100 matched sets.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I don't know why it's not on the US site, but Yokohama Canada is already listing and selling the Advan Fleva V701. They are available in 215/40/17 & 255/40/17 among others, but no 245/40/17. They are rated at 300-AA-A, which I think it a little more aggressive than the S.Drive, but that tire was an ancient design and should have been replaced a long time ago.

https://tire.yokohama.ca/tires/advan-fleva

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know why it's not on the US site, but Yokohama Canada is already listing and selling the Advan Fleva V701. They are available in 215/40/17 & 255/40/17 among others, but no 245/40/17. They are rated at 300-AA-A, which I think it a little more aggressive than the S.Drive, but that tire was an ancient design and should have been replaced a long time ago.

https://tire.yokohama.ca/tires/advan-fleva
I'm seeing these on Tirerack now, too! In the right sizes. Great news. I'm a little bummed that pretty soon I won't be able to replace a single damaged tire without replacing the whole set, but at least we've still got two Ultra High Performance Summer options that can be run in the cold in a pinch, as opposed to stuff that's really not at all suitable for colder weather.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Ya it’s getting tougher... 245-255’s are the same (slim pickings)... the real issue is the 215... no one wants to go smaller but those firestone Indy 500 tires I guess are killer for the money BUT they don’t have 215... 205 and 225 up front only

·
Registered
15 Posts
For what it's worth, the Advan Flevas are fantastic tires in my opinion. They replaced my BFG Sport Comp 2s and I was considering going for remaining stock S. Drives or spending a bit more on Flevas. They do not disappoint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The S. Drives left from my previous owner seems to have soft wire walls. While parked, I can shake the car and the tire wall moves side ways, even with my tire pressure all the way up around 44 psi. I've read this from someone else from other threads. How's the newer Flevas V701 holding up? Does it have side wall issues? My tire sizes are 215/40/17 front and 235/40/17 rear.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
The S. Drives left from my previous owner seems to have soft wire walls. While parked, I can shake the car and the tire wall moves side ways, even with my tire pressure all the way up around 44 psi.
That sort of 'test' (which isn't one) proves nothing. Why would you have your tire pressure at 44PSI?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts