MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in the crower cams based on their low price.
I have plans in the future to use a supercharger, but this will be a while (probably a year).

Crower has the stage 1 and stage 2 cams, both of which I think do not need head work.

Stage 1 - 268/268 .362"/.326" (9.1948mm/9.1948mm)
Stage 2 - 276/280 .374"/.393" (9.4996mm/9.9822mm)

Stage 2 is recommended for forced induction applications. I have an NA, will these cams still give me more horsepower and run reliably? I am not too concerned about a rough idle. These cams are actually cheaper at nopi than the stage 1 cams which is another reason to wonder.

I understand that more duration and more lift is not always the best, but I would guess that the quite significant increase of duration and lift (as seen in the stage 2 cams) would make more power.

What do you think?

Myk

·
Registered
480 Posts
Depends.... as I have the MAF version of the GZE just like the "USDM" s/c AW11, I dont think the stock GZE's ECU would like anything higher than stage 1 cams. Then again, my opinion is just that... an opinion. No proof other than what I currently have in my stock "bluetop" 4AGE: HKS 256/264 cams. Slight loping idle....

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so it might not help at all, do you think it would hurt at all?

Myk

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hurt? While it would give more torque due to higher-than-stock lift, the greater dur would just shift the powerband up higher up the rpm scale which you may or not like....

As I am a dragracer at heart I would recommend gunning for them, it's just that you will have to take fueling and timing into consideration as vacuum would be less than optimal at part throttle. :goodluck:

2nd edit: If you go for the stage 2 set, I think youhave to do something about the rest of the valvetrain. That is one heck of a lift figure. Upon installation of the cams you HAVE TO degree them to the recommended specs (duh!) and it seems that a good quality header must be used. I'm really curious about the hp outcome on this set. ;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the detailed response :)
I do have a KBD header that I got from ebay, seems to work ok.
I like those high up torque revs, and I'd like to see more of them.
I guess I just need to see if I need to modify my valve train. I will email crower directly for that.

What's your drag setup? Do you have a website for your car(s)?

Myk

·
Registered
480 Posts
Myk said:
Thanks for the
What's your drag setup?
I have an '85 AE86 with a supercharged stock "bluetop", Maxmisawa's clutch setup, an open 4.10:1 geared Hilux rear end, lowered of course and welded lower link brackets to accept lower links from a cressida. Works pretty good, if I can modulate the tires to spin less at launch.

Myk said:
Do you have a website for your car(s)?

Myk
Nah man, too much concentration and focus on the AE86 to keep it running. Besides where I live everything is double the retail price when ordering. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts