MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update 7/13/18: To the few members that did not get thier deposits refunded, please email me at: [email protected]

After the delivery issues with our last batch I have decided that this production run will be done by another manufacturer. The new lids will be MADE IN THE USA, and the mold will be CNC cut to ensure a more symmetrical, higher quality, better fitting part!
(There will be slight revisions to the lid pictured below, the final design will be built in CAD and the renderings will be posted here for everyone's approval prior to the mold being made.)

The other thread was closed due to length so here is an update: I will be going out to the new shop early tomorrow to meet with the owner and show him the lid in person. I will make a post tomorrow night or Wednesday to let everyone know how it went, fingers crossed!

Deposits: (I am not accepting any more deposits right now)
1)Beeniej - Carbon - Deposit Received
2)slownjamz -Carbon - Deposit Received
3) - Fiberglass -
4)sebastien - Carbon - Deposit Received
5)Yas/__ - Carbon - Deposit Received
6)Komodo- Carbon - Deposit Received
7)dgh938peg - Carbon - Deposit Received
8)Almost Stock TS - Carbon - Final Payment Received
9)Jc5spd - fiberglass - Deposit Received
10)CrazygenIII - Carbon - Deposit Received
11)sickof5sfe - Carbon - Deposit Received
12)Swirved - Fiberglass - Deposit Received
13)Solrac28 - Carbon - Deposit Received
14)Foygroup - Carbon - Deposit Received

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I took a ride out to the new composite shop in PA. I was very impressed with the shop, they are a legit operation, with all of the current tools and machinery needed to properly do this work. I brought the engine lid from my car for the prototype/ mold making department to check out in person.
They do a ton of fiberglass hard tops, Gel coated sprint car body panels, fiberglass reinforced urethane injected parts, and thermoformed ABS plastic parts. The quality of the parts was far superior to the Chinese parts, they also told me how the Chinese plant was manufacturing my old lids: It was basically just a plastic part with a top layer of carbon weave for the look! I had always knows the Chinese body parts we're just a single layer of carbon for the look, but I always assumed the rest of the part was fiberglass, not plastic!

The bottom line is they are very professional, and are very interested in making these lids! They are going to have a meeting and discuss the details, and then they will get back to me with a quote soon!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Great to hear this is finally moving forward. I can't wait. I don't see my name on your list. Will you edit your list to add me please? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was at the plant they were working fast, but I wont know a time frame until they contact me again and let me know all the details. I wish I could show u guys the pics I took of the facility, but the manager asked me not to post them anywhere :(

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IM working on the CAD model right now, It has a lot to do with if they are going to CNC the mold, or if I will.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ill post tomorrow night guys, sorry crazy busy lately getting my entry ready for the NY Autoshow safety symposium competition.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so here is an update: After a few weeks of waiting I finally spoke with the manager from the new shop again, They had a few meetings and spoke about my product, they are interested in starting production and I was told I will get a detailed quote soon.

Also: The old manufacturer Just called me to tell me that the order will be here in May/June (even though I cancelled the order months ago lol)... We all know how they do with time frames so far so I can't rely on that so I think we should just continue with the plan to make a new mold and use the new manufacturer.

Now that I am finished with my entry for the NY Auto Show I will be able to put some time into the Solidworks model of the lid and get some renderings posted in here.

Thanks everyone, feel free to give me feedback - Anthony

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got the quote, starting to get the ball rolling here. I started on a final Solidworks model. Got some time on the CNC last night and cut out a test template of the profile to verify my measurements:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the quote was reasonable, obviously higher then what I was paying for the Chinese made parts, but its worth it for sure. I did some more work over the weekend I'll post some pics tmrw

1 - 20 of 372 Posts