MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this just started today, but all of a sudden when I took off from a light it felt like my car was on ice....meaning like it felt the arse end was swerving and I was about to drift!! I had also noticed that a few days ago my steering wheel was shaking pretty bad, although I do have aftermarket 17's on....it never was this bad. Now that I look at my 2 since this swerving problem, the steering wheel is off a bit (alignment) and the shaking is gone, but this damn feeling like im gonna drift is very evident.

Does this sound like my rod ends and pillow mounts? Time for a twos r us combo kit?? Thanks for your input guys!

Cisco C.

·
Registered
98 Posts
INTERESTING THAT YOU MENTION THAT CAUSE I JUST HAD A NEW CLUTCH INSTALLED AND WHEN I GOT IT OUT OF THE SHOP MINE STARTED DOING THAT TO...I WOULD GO OVER A GRATE OR METAL LINES IN THE ASPHALT RIGHT BEFORE AN ON RAMP AND MY MR2 T WOULD START SLIPPING...THE NEXT MORNING I CHECKED MY TIRE PRESSURE AND FOR SOME REASON MY REAR DRIVER SIDE PSI WAS 40 AND MY PASS SIDE PSI WAS 20...I FILLED ALL MY TIRES TO 40 PSI AND IT SEEMED TO HELP QUITE A BIT BUT I'M STILL GETTING THAT SAME THING JUST NOT QUICK AS BAD...I'M JUST HOPING THE SHOP HOOKED EVERYTHING UP THAT THEY MIGHT HAVE DISCONNECTED.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires and pressure are good. They are brand new Falken FK451's, set at 38psi. I think im just gonna replace the ball joints and rod ends and get an alignment and see what happens.

Cisco C.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's what my car felt like when my lower control arms weren't tightened well on the corssmember. I had some trouble getting the bolts in and apparently they got loose. If I hadn't noticed, that would have been one fiery accident.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK guys, i guess last nite wasn't a good nite for me. After all this swerving issue came about...when I finally got the two home....my Battery light came on. I go and check out the engine bay this morning and see that my Alternator belt is tore up and just hanging from somewhere in the engine bay, not at all on the Alternator. Could this have something to do with the swerving, does this belt run the Power Steering pump too...any ideas. Prolly with my luck, it's just a whole other problem!!! LOL

Cisco C.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Cisco, your alternator problem and swerving problem are not related. We need to meet up and I'll come check out your car. You might have a loose suspension bolt or a bad wheel bearing. Call me yo!

·
Registered
548 Posts
cysco00 said:
Ok, this just started today, but all of a sudden when I took off from a light it felt like my car was on ice....meaning like it felt the arse end was swerving and I was about to drift!!

Does this sound like my rod ends and pillow mounts? Time for a twos r us combo kit?? Thanks for your input guys!

Cisco C.
This might be totally off, but you might make a quick check to see if you've lost a rear trailing arm fixing bolt - one of mine actually came loose and fell out on my '91T. But I'm sure I'm the only one on the face of the earth who has ever had this happen on an MR2. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
93smgturbo said:
Cisco, your alternator problem and swerving problem are not related. We need to meet up and I'll come check out your car. You might have a loose suspension bolt or a bad wheel bearing. Call me yo!
I figured as much...just hoping!! I will give u a call for sure this week!

Cisco C.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
One side rear camber went off once and it felt like the rear was wagging the front...scary at speed. Did alignment and problem solved.

Bruce

1 - 12 of 12 Posts