MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'91 Turbo with a JDM '93 swap
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not looking to drop $150 on a new one. I don't have a massive budget and mine died when I accidentally overboosted this past weekend. Code 52 now

car is a 91 with 93 JDM swap (engine and harness) if this matters

Scammers:
No i'm not emailing your friend
no i'm not paying cashapp (paypal goods and services ONLY)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same as JDM REV2 then. But the REV1 JDM uses a different one and then the REV3-5 uses a different one again.
Yeah it’s a 93 gen 2. So final year in Japan. Running off a 91 ECU (made a new harness to jump the 2)

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts
Yeah it’s a 93 gen 2. So final year in Japan. Running off a 91 ECU (made a new harness to jump the 2)
So maybe you are looking for the REV1 GEN2 knock sensor instead? The ECU and sensor will be calibrated together?

This one. Can be found on a 1UZ.
89615-20010

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So maybe you are looking for the REV1 GEN2 knock sensor instead? The ECU and sensor will be calibrated together?

This one. Can be found on a 1UZ.
89615-20010
i dunno. It was working fine with the 93 electronics til I overboosted

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But you are on a 91 JDM ECU? Over boosting can kill a sensor of you hit it knock.
91 JDM ecu, 93 harness, 93 engine. Has been on that setup since winter and has been fine.

yeah I’ve read that knock detection will kill the sensor, so overboost is probably what killed it. It was working fine with 93 electronics until that

should I just go with the part number posted here?

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts
I'm not sure how the ECU and sensors relate to eachother. Toyota changed it for a reason, that reason I don't know. Why change the part number if there was no need. Sometimes the number changes with the last digit, it appears that doesn't change much or anything but this number has 5th number changed so there is a significant enough change here to know there is something different.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure how the ECU and sensors relate to eachother. Toyota changed it for a reason, that reason I don't know. Why change the part number if there was no need. Sometimes the number changes with the last digit, it appears that doesn't change much or anything but this number has 5th number changed so there is a significant enough change here to know there is something different.
is the one you posted for 93 JDM? If so I’ll probably just get one and throw it in. It was working fine so may as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
To the OP you're overthinking it. Just use the ebay link I posted above. I did the exact same thing and had the exact same result as you, code 52 and it sucked to drive. It's a just a knock sensor and the one I posted worked perfectly and you get two for 20 bucks plus harnesses that you'll probably never need.

Also read this thread.

Code 52 is killing me.... | MR2 Owners Club Forum (mr2oc.com)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To the OP you're overthinking it. Just use the ebay link I posted above. I did the exact same thing and had the exact same result as you, code 52 and it sucked to drive. It's a just a knock sensor and the one I posted worked perfectly and you get two for 20 bucks plus harnesses that you'll probably never need.

Also read this thread.

Only paranoid of cheap sensors as I had a 2004 RSX-S and it had a bad knock sensor and a cheap one died in 2 days. But I suppose I'll give it a go

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts
is the one you posted for 93 JDM? If so I’ll probably just get one and throw it in. It was working fine so may as well.
I posted both the 89-91 and the 92-93 JDM parts.

Also read this thread.

I don't think he is overthinking it. The sensor and ECU are calibrated to the engine. Why Toyota changed the sensor AND the ECU for 92-93, I can't say but you wouldn't go and create a whole new sensor and ECU if there was no reason to.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I posted both the 89-91 and the 92-93 JDM parts.

I don't think he is overthinking it. The sensor and ECU are calibrated to the engine. Why Toyota changed the sensor AND the ECU for 92-93, I can't say but you wouldn't go and create a whole new sensor and ECU if there was no reason to.
Was the first one, the one with the toyodiy link the 93 one? That link says it’s 89-95

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Also read this thread.

Bought these, installed one, CEL gone and working fine. We'll see on longevity but it's kept the light off longer than the cheap-o i threw in my old acura.

Fingers crossed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts