MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great questions actually. Not even sure I can answer.

You can cut and polish single stage and get it looking awesome, for sure. Single stage is really just base and clear mixed together. I just think, equally, that laying on three good coats of clear gives you more margin for error when it comes to wet sanding/polishing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thank you! That was me. :)

That forum is an excellent resource. There are dudes on there who have been painting cars since the 70s and they steered me in the right direction multiple times.
You did a great job, especially considering you didn't have a paint booth. What do you think of the inflatable ones that are coming out?

·
Registered
227 Posts
bump: Paradox on YouTube has a new video showing him re-wrapping his SW20. Not a tutorial, exactly, as it's all in timelapse, but gives a very good idea how to go about it. At the beginning he is also honest about how long wrap lasts and documents the damage the sun does to it after a few years.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Amazing video clip. Really covers a lot of ground in how to wrap as well as maintain. I have a small wrap job on my Audi TT roof that I should apply a coating to as its been 3+ years, still looking great but does tend to stay outside in an area of high UV exposure.
One question comes to mind; what ceramic coating is best for protecting wraps?
Think I have some Meguires spray used on my MR2 but only used this product a few times with good results.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Short answer I've heard from people who know best: if it's a spray, it's not a full ceramic product. I don't know if there are wrap-specific ceramic coatings, but I'd tend to use the ones you see these wrap guys using. Avalon King, etc. I honestly haven't researched them much, so am not sure which are best.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Thanks for the reply. As I had the job done professionally I'll contact the shop and see what they recommend. Until I saw that video thought wraps were good for 10yrs + without any special maintenance.

Jimb

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Managed to find a 3M bulletin on maintenance of wrap including life expectancy. It simply recommends regular cleaning, limit sun exposure and being careful not to scratch. Life is estimated at 7yrs. Researching ceramic coating products to see if there is any mention of vinyl wraps. Looked at what I was using on cars and it’s not ceramic just a high tech protector.

Apologies if I’m diverting thread off topic however feel it is relevant to making a decision on wrap vs paint. I certainly wouldn’t be wrapping if only lasts 3years.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Just a follow up from this; heard from my professional wrapper and he recommended this product as it is designed to extend wraps life. Obviously its best to do when wrap is new rather than waiting 2 years like I did. Not sure if I'll try just yet as have been using a silicone spray on mine to keep fresh and this may react with product.
Liquid Font Audio equipment Gadget Cameras & optics

·
Registered
1991 Turbo
40 Posts
Well, I dropped Snap off at the painter’s shop this morning. Should have it back in a week or so. Spent time talking to a number of wrappers and a few paint shops. Two of the three wrappers I was considering both cautioned against color changing over red. Seemed odd to me, since color change seems to be the purpose of most wraps. Both said black is easiest to wrap over and red and yellow are the worst. Still can’t wrap my mind around that (pun unintended).

Anyway, given the pricing, timing to get started, and expected lifetime of the finished product, I went with paint. One of my employees took this picture of my car in our garage earlier this week. Let this stand as the “before“ picture. When I get it back I’ll have him take another in the exact same setting to serve as the “after”.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

·
Registered
227 Posts
Two of the three wrappers I was considering both cautioned against color changing over red. Seemed odd to me, since color change seems to be the purpose of most wraps. Both said black is easiest to wrap over and red and yellow are the worst. Still can’t wrap my mind around that (pun unintended).
A lot of wrap colors are semi-translucent. When I wrapped my car, white over white, I had to redo a small section because I'd wrapped over some dark primer and it showed through. Red is an intense color, so it would likely change the tint of a lot of wrap colors.

·
Registered
1991 Turbo
40 Posts
Snap came home today, wearing a new coat of paint. Well, two new coats to be precise. I went with the color codes for my Camaro Fifty and had the MR2 painted as sort of an alter ego.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Window

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

For the sake of comparison, here’s the Camaro. Colors are Nightfall Grey Metallic and “Orange U Tempted”. When it gets warmer I‘ll have to take some side-by-side photos. The Camaro hibernates when it’s below 45 degrees.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

21 - 33 of 33 Posts