MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

WOW - e-machineshop

17K views 59 replies 40 participants last post by  adrenaline360 
#1 ·
I *Just* came across this in my circuit celler magazine.

http://emachineshop.com/

you can design a part online with their software, get pricing, and finally get your part manufactured.

They support small or large quantities, and are supposedly inexpensive.

Sounds pretty cool!

#52 ·
Ok, I am looking around for another machine shop. My local ones are not very good. Anyone have any advice for an online shop?

Also, I need to make an engine to trans adaptor plate soon, which is a pretty large part, approx 16in x 16in x .50inches thick aluminum. Anyone have any advice on a machine shop--does not have to be local. I am not in a hurry, but I want someone that is reasonable.

#54 ·
depends on where you are. and what machines are being used. In Alberta, unless you are going to a mom and pop shop, you are looking at $100-$150 canadian per hour. Some machines such as multitasking machines, may charge up to $800+ per hour, that being said, I made myself a gen 2 throttle body inlet out of billet 6061T6 aluminum on a 9 axis multitasking machine mill-turned complete in less than 3 1/2 minutes. For a one off part, wouldnt be worth the cost, but on 1000 of them, it would be a different story. and yes, waterjet is cheaper than laser, due to operating expenses mostly. however laser is faster and more accurate with less overcut. in manufacturing, the first part off the machine is by far the most expensive part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.