MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I *Just* came across this in my circuit celler magazine.

http://emachineshop.com/

you can design a part online with their software, get pricing, and finally get your part manufactured.

They support small or large quantities, and are supposedly inexpensive.

Sounds pretty cool!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow, thats awesome.

Think we could design camshafts and that kind of stuff for our cars??

You'd probably need some engineering experience to design one that really works tho, right?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I think the average joe could design come nice camshafts with a little research... in the end it's just a chunk of metal that serves a relatively simple purpose.

C

·
0 Posts
posted by Syizm
I think the average joe could design come nice camshafts with a little research... in the end it's just a chunk of metal that serves a relatively simple purpose.
Not quite...cams are FAR from simple and joe schmoe couldn't design one that gave power gains. If that was true then there would be monkies working at Toyota and we'd all be building our own parts.

I took a cam design class while I was in school, which is why I know joe schome couldn't design a cam that could give more power safely.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
This is awesome.

*begins feverishly designing random parts*

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I've imported tons of parts I drafted in ACAD, my custom billet gauge cluster is going t cost $477 to make. :)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
to laser cut a set of simple hubcentric rings would cost about $70. maybe i haven't found all the subtle cost-cutting nuances of the software yet, but the prices thus far seem a little.. astronomical.

i can see though how it could be useful for drawing parts/printing them out to have them made somewhere else..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I played with it, the cost goes down dramatically when you increase the quantity and/or copy and paste multiple instances of the same part onto the sheet.

Also, different machine tools can produce different results. My impression was that water jet cutting was cheaper than laser cutting.

Brent

1 - 20 of 60 Posts