MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
say you have fully adjustible coilover with camber plates. but you really don't take advantages of the camber plate, such as in changing it offend from street to track. so you just set the plates to full negative setting and align the alignment to what you like, why? so that the struts and more at an angle. i herd BMW and some cars that are said to handle good with macpharson setup having more of an angle at the shocks. im just wondering if this would help or basically be the same.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Generally there are two ways to use the camber plates. Some people have the car aligned to 0 camber with the plates at 0, and then use the plates to provide all the camber.

The method I prefer is to align the car to a known value (for an MR2 perhaps the stock 1 degree setting) with the camber plates at 0, and then use the camber plates to dial in additional camber as needed to adjust the handling of the car.

Making changes to the camber is really about changing the car's behavior in a corner. Good reasons for changing camber include changing the car's turn-in, adjusting for understeer (or sometimes possibly oversteer), adjusting the car's tire wear and tire heating pattern, etc.

My rule of thumb is to research to find a good starting alignment and then use the camber plates as one of the tools to adjust that to the needs of my specific car, suspension, tires, etc.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see i got the tein flex pillow ball mount. that one is not like the conventional -1,2,3,4,5 deal its an all or nothing type of deal im sure your aware of this. the main question here is if i like my alignemt at say -1.5 for street and track use would it benifit me to put the plate at full negative then align it to -1.5 so as the strut is pointed more at an angle. this is also another question to - for the tein pillow ball mount you have to undo the strut top so you can move it. my question is wouldn't you change a little of the alignment if you messed (by this i mean the cars permanant alignment as from a shop not what the pillowball mounts allow) around with it all the time such as changing it back and fouth from it being set at 0 to what ever negative you wanted, I just had the impression that it might change something thats why i never bothered to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yes, changing the camper could affect toe. I have never measured what the impact is on an MR2, so I have no idea what the real effect would be.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't think your getting it yet. i mean when you change it at the track and then return it to normal again would it still be the same alignment as before the track.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yes.

But while the camber was set in, I think you might be introducing toe-in on the front end. The effects of toe-in (depending on how much) could be to lessen the car's crisp turn-in and increase front tire wear on the inside edges of the tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts