MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start tearing apart my car in the next couple of days and was curious if anyone had the similar problems as me? I was driving down the road the other day 4th gear cruising, went to merge onto an on ramp and rev-matched it into 3rd gear. I noticed it was really hard to get it out of gear. It was even harder getting it into the next gear. I noticed that I started losing my pedal so I pumped it back up. I then realized that the car wouldn't go into any gears and I had to pull over and get the car towed. So basically the clutch will not engage. You can start the car in neutral but if the cars in gear it will jump forward because the clutch isn't engaged. The fluid resevoir is full. The clutch feels like it has plenty of pressure you just cant feel it moving the clutch and pressure plate. I will first look at the slave cylinder and check it. If the slave cylinder is ok the problems will require the tranny being removed. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think you're right, sounds like one of your cylinders is shot. Check the master cylinder under the dash too, make sure neither is leaking fluid. Past that, you might have a bubble in the line. Past that, your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Go with the checking of lines, etc and also check your cables and shifter mechanism. Do they move smoothly? I would geuss clutch related, the way you have described it (possibly worn clutch too). If it's not that, then you may have problems internally in the transmission.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The original clutch was in my car for 155k miles until one of the rubber dampeners broke off inside between the disc and flywheel. The clutch would not disengage at all. Perhaps your clutch broke too?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it was a 4 puck unsprung clutch disk with the factory pressure plate flywheel ect. I'm not sure how this would effect the pressure plate and other parts.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
The problem is almost certainly NOT the clutch. Its the clutch hydraulics, most likely the master cylinder.

bill

·
Registered
178 Posts
So basically the clutch will not engage. You can start the car in neutral but if the cars in gear it will jump forward because the clutch isn't engaged. The fluid resevoir is full.
It jumps forward because it is engaged. Check the clutch hydraulics as billwot mentioned. The reservoir being full only means it does not have an external leak.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct, the terms get a little confusing some times. So the slave is on the bottom of the tranny, where is the master cylinder? Thanks

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
the master, is "connected" to the pedal, it's what the resivour is attached too, in the frunk.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The resivoir is attached to the firewall, how do you get to the master cylinder underneath?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing is wet at all in the frunk, none of those components are moist.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
teezlr ... how is your clutch fluid level? if its low, then you have a leak. check the slave cyl on the tranny also

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
thing is.... is if your seals in your MC are dead, you can have good fluid, but not be making any pressure...

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
First, lets get the terminology correct.

A clutch is engaged when it is transferring power from the engine to the transmission. The clutch is angaged when your foot is OFF of the pedal.

The clutchshoulddisengage when you step on the pedal, and open the link between the engine and the tranny.

Stepping on the clutch pedal DISENGAGES it, and taking your foot off of the pedal ENGAGES it. If it is difficult to put into gear, or if it lurches forward when put into gear, its because the clutch will NOT DISENGAGE.

The operaing mechanism uses a master cylinder and a slave cylinder that disengages the clutch when you step on the pedal, allowing you to shift into the various gears. When the clutch fails to DISENGAGE, it is almost always a failue in this hydraulic system.

When a master cylinder fails, it leaks internally. No oil escapes, and it is not uncommon for the reservoir to remain full, even if the MC no longer functions.

OTOH, when the slave cylinder fails, oil will be discharged from the cylinder, the level in the reservoir will fall, and it is likely there will be visible evidence of leakage around or under the slave cylinder.

bill

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
kirkosaurus said:
Here you can see the MC bolts to the brake booster in the frunk.
This is a MKI but it's using a MKII turbo MC.
And just for clarification, that is the BRAKE master cylinder that is attached to the brake booster. The clutch MC is the smaller reservoir over to the right.

bill

·
Registered
534 Posts
The problem is almost certainly the clutch master cylinder, which uses two seals. A rebuild kit should be all you need. Remember to use the correct tool when taking the steel line off the cylinder.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so I am ordering a rebuild kit, and what tool are you referring to? The rebuild kit is only $9 so thats good.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts