MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mike, we could meet up between Gainesville and Jacksonville and I could snap a bunch of pics and video for you and the wanting crowd. I could even post up a page for your build and car on FLMR2s.com if you would like.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Mike H said:
I still have to deal with the sway bar. The transmission came right through were the old one was so the car doesn't have one right now. I haven't pushed it real hard yet but amazingly it seems to handle very well in spite of not having one. If you are willing to post the pictures I will take them. What do you want pictures of?
sick car.. hope to see a vid
a thicker front bar will help plant the rear of the vehicle if you have issues.. if you need run slightly stiffer rear springs. dont think you will need a rear bar

i would love to see the car featured grass roots motorsports mag - i think the grm offices are near you

·
Registered
58 Posts
ESPMR2Mike said:
Mike, we could meet up between Gainesville and Jacksonville and I could snap a bunch of pics and video for you and the wanting crowd. I could even post up a page for your build and car on FLMR2s.com if you would like.
I appreciate your offer. My engine has developed a miss and I am in the process of trying to sort it out. I just sent my injectors off to get serviced. Give me a couple of weeks to get this sorted out and I will get in touch with you and we will meet up.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Absolutely amazing! :thumbup
Looks surprisingly clean as well, good job man.
i'll echo the thoughts of most of us...(im)patiently waiting for video...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thought I would post an up date. I developed an engine miss and have been trying to locate the cause. I sent my injectors off to be cleaned and checked. That didn?t change anything. The miss started to became more of a violent miss, like if you turned the ignition on and off very quickly. The data log started showing the timing was moving around a lot. I put a timing light on it and sure enough when the engine missed the timing moved around. I replaced both of the sensors that give the ecu it timing reference and that didn?t improve anything. I changed out all the wiring and increased the gauge on all the ground as well as the power wires. That hasn?t helped either. I have decided it is an ecu problem and I am sending the ecu back to be checked out. Hopefully I will be up and running in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Hi Mike,

I am curious, did you set up the VEMS to activate the secondary intake manifold runners (the thing that works just like Toyota TVIS) ?

I am only asking out of curiousity, not for diagnosis. Maybe Hilly can help on the diagnosis ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Chris,
Hilly and I have been working on this together for the last two months. As for the secondary runners they are controlled by vacuum. The vems does use vacuum and throttle position sensors to control the spark advance and fuel delivery. We have systematically eliminated everything but the ecu. I am sending it back to hilly and he is going to bench test it and then put it on his car for the finial test. He is quite sure that it is the vems and he knows were the problem is.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Sounds good Mike, I hope you get it figured out. That sucks after all that work and its a problem with a component that should work out of the box.

I decided to go with a GM aftermarket ECU for my Northstar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mike H said:
Hi Chris,
Hilly and I have been working on this together for the last two months. As for the secondary runners they are controlled by vacuum. The vems does use vacuum and throttle position sensors to control the spark advance and fuel delivery. We have systematically eliminated everything but the ecu. I am sending it back to hilly and he is going to bench test it and then put it on his car for the finial test. He is quite sure that it is the vems and he knows were the problem is.

Hi Mike, what happens with the VEMS ECU problem. Also is there more updates no the project.
Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
I sent the ecu out and he put it on a simulator and could not find anything wrong with it. He then put it on his engine which is the exact same engine as mine and could not get it to throw one trigger error. I have to believe it is not an ecu problem at this point because it had gotten progressively worse on my engine to the point that I could not drive the car anymore. I have not gotten the ecu back yet but when I do I have a couple of things I want to try. If they don?t work I will have to pull the engine and look very carefully at my trigger wheel. Unfortunately I don?t have room to work on it in the car. Right now I don?t know what else it could be. I have replaced the crank trigger sensor the cam position sensor and rewired the whole system. I even disconnected the alternator thinking that it was causing electrical interference. At this point I am very frustrated. I will get it fixed but this is not something anybody wants to deal with when they get a swap up and running

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very sad to hear that. But I`m shure you will clear it. Good luck and we are waiting for the next photos or videos of this amaizing swap.
Bob

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Yah, the engine management should be a non-issue on these types of swaps as it should have been the easiest part of the whole project!

I am sorry to hear about it too.

We're rootin' for ya Mike. Hang in there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have put one layer on and have plans to do more, but right now all of that is on the back burner until I get the engine miss sorted out. I got my ecu back last night and now I will be working to figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I thought of that and turned the knock sensor function off. It didn?t make any difference. I have come to the conclusion that it must have something to do with my trigger wheel. Unfortunately I will have to pull the engine to get to it. I have a couple of things I am going to try first. If they don?t work the engine will be coming out.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Mike, you didn't put the trigger wheel on the front pulley like Hilly did on his Lotus project?

·
Registered
28 Posts
First, I must say that since the first mr2 v8 i saw i felt in love with it since im a big v8 fan :p. That car has been done wisely and with lot of patience and passion.I admire you.Sad that you get a problem with it and that it seems hard to find out . But i feel you'll find it soon, since you build this setup and you really really seems to know what you doing. My biggest concern about making those kind of swap are those kind of issues.I'm not really good at finding where problems comes from and i'm not very good in electricity.I have good bases but stays here i guess lol.
I wish you best of luck to solve that problem and get that beauty running.

Btw cbulen i thought you were going for the same engine as Mike but i seen like 3 times you talking about Northstar. The first mr2 v8 ive seen on the net years ago was with a v8 Northstar. But i'm confused which one will you be using? I maybe misunderstood but i think you said you will try to put the northstar to see and do it with the Audi engine later??
Anyone know approx how much lenght is a 302 ?? :p I love some much the sound of the American Block but i think german engineering is better :p
On this good luck to all with your crazy project , can't wait to see some vids too .
The snow starting to melt here, can't wait to drive my baby's !!!!

81 - 100 of 115 Posts