MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Rocket Scientist
1,698 Posts
initialdrft said:
I wonder if a setup like this is going to disrupted the balance of the car.
Good question...not sure what the final corner weights will look like, but I suspect on the whole this swap might improve the balance in a few ways....I imagine the polar moment of inertia will go down, the CG of the engine looks lower, the front/rear weight distribution might inch a bit towards neutral, and the total weight might not be much more than a 3SGTE (just guessing that all-aluminum V8 ~= iron 4 cylinder + turbo hardware, weight-wise. Maybe not.)

Regardless, it's a brilliant piece of fabrication and an accomplishment to be quite proud of :thumbup

-Stephen M

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
As i have an Audi ABZ V8 (same as Mike_H), I can tell you that the motor weighs less than the 3S. I seem to recall around 460 lbs, but not sure on that. Also, AFIK, for mid-engine cars, its better to have rear weight bias.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The video will probably not happen unless somebody in my area wants to take it and send it in. I can?t even post pictures. I have to send them to Chris to post.
Now that I have driven the car for several hours I will give you my impressions of the set up. The 300 HP makes the car quick but not a super car. It does not light the tires up from pure acceleration in second gear like a ZR1 would. The torque is very nice though.
Chris I would say that if you can get the engine in with out cutting the firewall then that would be a far superior way to go. As Chris has said the fire wall consists of two thin pieces of sheet metal sandwiching a piece of about 1/2 ?thick rubber of some sort. It is very effective at reducing the noise and heat that gets into the passenger compartment.
I have decided that the noise issue I am experiencing is not from the mufflers but from the engine itself. It is a combination of intake, valve train and exhaust noise. It sounds like the radio of some of the cars running around with there bass cranked all the way up. I am working on trying to get rid of as much of it as possible but I believe it is going to be impossible the get it to a point anywhere near to the noise level of a stock car. The heat is something that can be dealt with I believe. It is not to bad and to my surprise it is not coming though the heat shield I put in front of the engine but it is instead feeding between the fuel tank and the under carriage shield and then coming up though the shifter boot. It is not very hot air (maybe 80 or 90 degrees) but it will not be any fun in the summer. I haven?t tried removing that portion of the under carriage shield yet but I believe that will eliminate that part of the heat problem.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
How is the handling?

Would you take some pictures of the underside of the car and email them to me, and I will post them here?
Maybe you can get the car on a lift to get better pix.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I still have to deal with the sway bar. The transmission came right through were the old one was so the car doesn't have one right now. I haven't pushed it real hard yet but amazingly it seems to handle very well in spite of not having one. If you are willing to post the pictures I will take them. What do you want pictures of?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Photos of the underside where you cut the firewall and lower subframe in that area. Photos of the bolt-on crossmember and the trunk cutout area. I would like to see how the engine and trans fits in the car the way you put it in.

Also, I would like to see your exhaust system.

and your axles.

·
Registered
463 Posts
FWIW, this kind of a build deserves a dedicated blog with write ups, pictures and videos. There will be an immense amount of interest as evidenced here.

I am just honored that I am sharing the same forum with someone of your mad creative skills.

·
Registered
463 Posts
A curious question. What happened to the AWD system?

From your vantage point could it be mated to our chassis? An AWD MR2 would be the bees knees for shizzles.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I can asnwer that. mike is using the 2wd (front wheel drive) version of the transaxle. AWD was never considered. WAAAAAY complicated to implement in a mid-engine car. See the Lambo's and Bugatti's for that.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Mike has sent me more pix of his car to post here. I posted them on page 1 of this thread. Please see posts 3, 4, and 7

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Much props on the fab work. Did you do all that Mike? I believe that shift linkage will survive a nuclear blast. How long have you been working on this?

·
Premium Member
3,514 Posts
cbulen said:
Mike has sent me more pix of his car to post here. I posted them on page 1 of this thread. Please see posts 3, 4, and 7
WOW, thanks for posting the extra pictures.

Mike, that fab work is quite impressive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Mike. How did you hook up the wiring from the engine to the dash board. And also, what kind of ECU do you use to control the engine and send signal to the instrument cluster ( tacho and odometer)
Amazing work by the way.....my dreem project for a lond time.
Thanks Bobby

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes I did all the fab work and it took me about 9 months. There were a couple of months that I hardly did any thing at all on it. I ran into so many obstacles that at times I would just overload and it would take me awhile to regroup.Ahh the instruments, The engine is run by a VEMS which does send a signal to the instruments but apparently the Toyota instruments use some kind of a feed back so they do not work properly. That is an area that I am still dealing with.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts