MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi there Mike, congratulations, that is simply awesome.

I'd be very interested in some pictures of where the gearbox sits in realtion to the rear firewall, mods to the subframe aswell.

Utterly brilliant mate.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Incredible swap! Presumably (there I go again..) you lost some chassis rigidity when you cut up the firewall. Are you going to restore it, or did you already?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
sarnodude said:
Incredible swap! Presumably (there I go again..) you lost some chassis rigidity when you cut up the firewall. Are you going to restore it, or did you already?
I think you are really talking about the cross member that is at the front of the engine bay and is part of the lower firewall. This is the part of the unibody of the Mk2 where the front engine mount would be on the stock car. Mike_H cut a large chunk of this piece out of his car.

I wonder how he reinforced this part of the car after cutting it.

I would also like to know how he did his shifter cables or shifter linkage rod.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The alternator is not in the front but behind the engine, if you look at the pictures the orange hose you can see is the cooling hose for the alternator. I would think that it would be pretty difficult to get very good flow to the alternator if it was up front. The fuel tank is separated from the engine compartment by a 3/16 sheet of 4130 steel welded all the way around. I did this for two reasons; first obviously I wanted to separate the engine from the tank. Secondly for rigidity, all the engine mount tubing and cross bracing are all tied in together and then bolted to this plate. By the way all of the tubing and plate are 4130 steel as well.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
that is all killer!!!! i wonder now if a 2jz isnt all that imposible- keeping toyota in toyotas :)

awsome work though! if i dint see the pictures i would neverhave believed it! WAY TO GO!!!

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
tred said:
that is all killer!!!! i wonder now if a 2jz isnt all that imposible- keeping toyota in toyotas :)

awsome work though! if i dint see the pictures i would neverhave believed it! WAY TO GO!!!
A v8 isn't much longer than a 4 cylinder, and if I remember this one was chosen because its one of the shortest v8's you can get. A 2jz is going to be roughly 50% longer than your average 4 cylinder...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
tred said:

You'll shoehorn a 1uz in there long before you'll get a 2jz in. A BMW I6 is a much better candidate than a 2jz.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I wonder if a setup like this is going to disrupted the balance of the car. Hopefully this still lets the car drive like a champ because that V8 is going to make for some good times! Btw like previously posted we need sound and video!!!

21 - 40 of 115 Posts