MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to put this but basically I have some led panels that I'd like to mount on the rear window. Two panels for the left and right turn signals and there's one panel that I'd like to have illuminate when the brakes are applied. I know that one of the most obvious ways would be to splice them into the rear bulb wires but my confusion comes from knowing what the easiest and best way to run the wires from the trunk all the way to the cabin would be? What ways are there besides using the grommets in the actual engine bay? Or would there be wires in the cabin i.e. under the drivers side panel that I could splice the lights into instead? If there are, I'd much prefer to do it that way rather than extending thin long wires all the way from the trunk. I tried searching for some relevant information but couldn't find much so TIA!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Download the BGB (big green book) and look at the schematics in the electrical volume.
The wires should all be accessible in the cabin but frankly I’d wire them to the lights in the rear and run your leads through the engine area.
There’s a lot more room to access the wires in the rear and you’d avoid hacking up the harness.
Running through the engine compartment and using the existing grommets is no big deal - just run the wires through some protective loom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
There are plenty of ways to snake the wire through as jim said. Yer gonna have teh easiest time identifying wires right at the tail lights, but the shortest run will be from the fuse/relay box they run off of. you could use the high mount stop to tap into for the brake panel you want to add to keep it short and simple. Ima be diggin into some of my wiring today. I'll let ye know what I think after I get peeking what I would do in yer situation and ye can go from there.

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts
Not sure where to put this but basically I have some led panels that I'd like to mount on the rear window. Two panels for the left and right turn signals and there's one panel that I'd like to have illuminate when the brakes are applied. I know that one of the most obvious ways would be to splice them into the rear bulb wires but my confusion comes from knowing what the easiest and best way to run the wires from the trunk all the way to the cabin would be? What ways are there besides using the grommets in the actual engine bay? Or would there be wires in the cabin i.e. under the drivers side panel that I could splice the lights into instead? If there are, I'd much prefer to do it that way rather than extending thin long wires all the way from the trunk. I tried searching for some relevant information but couldn't find much so TIA!
You can run wires from the brake lights to the cabin over the rear wheel arches and come through the firewall inside the cabin through where the pull cables are for the fuel filler flap and the engine lid or trunk. But.... the brake light wire (single) runs down the left side of the car from IE1 plug which is the the 18 pin plug on the left kick panel. The wire colour is Green w/White and it will be pin 4. So you could tap into that wire near the rear window to get power here.

The same applies for the rear turn signal wires. Plug IE1 pin 2 Green w/Yellow is right side and pin 3 Green w/Black is left. All running the same way.
Hopefully it doesn't mess with the circuit resistance and change the flasher speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts