1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
There is not really any difference in how they light up except that the reverse lights are in the middle. You will need to cut the white harness off your old taillight and wire them in to your new harness. I found it's easier to do it one pair at a time. you're gonna have two wires left over for your reverse lights which will need to be lengthened and spliced into your new reverse lights.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
orphan40 said:
There is not really any difference in how they light up except that the reverse lights are in the middle. You will need to cut the white harness off your old taillight and wire them in to your new harness. I found it's easier to do it one pair at a time. you're gonna have two wires left over for your reverse lights which will need to be lengthened and spliced into your new reverse lights.
On OEM 94+ MR2's the outside tail lights light up as running lights and go brighter when the brakes are applied. The inner 2 lights only come on when the brakes are applied.

On 91-93 MR2's all 4 bulbs are dual filament, and they are all on as parking lights, and they all go brighter as brake lights.

I think to make it like the OEM 94+ you would just have to change the inner 2 bulbs to a single filament bulb instead of the standard dual filament bulb.
I don't think any wiring changes need to be made.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MISTER2 said:
I think to make it like the OEM 94+ you would just have to change the inner 2 bulbs to a single filament bulb instead of the standard dual filament bulb.
Think it's really that simple? I thought I would have to use the new harness instead of reusing the old one(like what is explained on the site).

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
MISTER2 said:
I don't think a single element bulb will fit into the dual element socket. It might fit but I don't think it will contact the correct areas to light up.

There are several ways to make the tail lights to light up like a 94+ model would. The easiest way is to reuse your 91-93 harness (the sockets are different but will fit) and cut the wire going to the one element on the inner bulbs. You need to figure out which wire is the power for the 'running lights' and which is for the 'brakes'. There are 3 wires; 1. ground, 2. power for running lights, 3. power for brakes.

If you cut that it won't light up normally but it will still go bright with your brakes. Just tape up the ends so nothing gets shorted and you are done.

You could cut the socket off compltely and wire a single element socket in and use that type of bulb also.

I personally like having all 4 of the lit and get brighter.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
its the solid green wire (nostripe). cut that in the inner bulbs to make the 91-93 harness light up like 94+

1 - 8 of 8 Posts