MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what is everyone doing to their cars during the off-season?

i havent done a whole lot, but ill list them anyways.

-i bought a new downpipe to replace my cracked one.
-got a engine lid shroud with fans from chzymnky.
-some twosrus shifter plate bushings.

more to come...

·
Registered
189 Posts
shocks and springs
probably bushings and sway bars
new rotors(did everything else to the brakes already in the late fall)
looking for wheels(5 bolt) If anyone has anything they want to get rid of let me know. either need something nice and big (15-17) for street, or another set of 14's to put my race rubber on.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well, hopefully I'll be able to repair whatever broke in the suspension on the last rally. Haven't investigated too far yet since it only makes noise and doesn't affect the handling. Plan is to check it out as soon as my other car gets back out of the shop (4 months and counting, sigh). Sad thing is that between the 2 cars in the last 14 months I've spent enough money in just REPAIRS to be halfway to a brand new Evo MR.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Here's my laundry list of winter plans:

• Fix my windows <-- done, finally!
  • Change out ignition components <-- done
  • Degrease insides of intercooler and pipes <-- done
  • Replace oxygen sensor/gasket <-- done
  • Replace turbocharger oil lines (already purchased)
  • Install KYB adjustable struts/strut boots (already purchased)
  • Install urethane bushings (already purchased)
  • Install TRD strut top mounts (already purchased)
  • Change brake fluid
  • Reinstall underbody shields by engine compartment (purchased new)
  • Install mud guards (already purchased)
  • Inspect brakes/replace worn items
  • Mount and balance new tires (I hope to do this myself with my new tire machine)

I think that's about it for my MR2. I also have a similar laundry list for my bike and Audi (but I don't care as much about getting it done on the Audi).

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ummmm, my plans are to purchase an MR2 (which I'm in the process of doing now), and have the suspension and braking systems ready for the Tail of the Dragon run in May.
Mystic363 (Neil) :cheers:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TBeck2000 said:
Here's my laundry list of winter plans:

• Fix my windows <-- done, finally!
  • Change out ignition components <-- done
  • Degrease insides of intercooler and pipes <-- done
  • Replace oxygen sensor/gasket <-- done
  • Replace turbocharger oil lines (already purchased)
  • Install KYB adjustable struts/strut boots (already purchased)
  • Install urethane bushings (already purchased)
  • Install TRD strut top mounts (already purchased)
  • Change brake fluid
  • Reinstall underbody shields by engine compartment (purchased new)
  • Install mud guards (already purchased)
  • Inspect brakes/replace worn items
  • Mount and balance new tires (I hope to do this myself with my new tire machine)

I think that's about it for my MR2. I also have a similar laundry list for my bike and Audi (but I don't care as much about getting it done on the Audi).
you fixed the windows?? holy crap its a miracle. what was the problem anyways? did water get into the harness or something...

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
DDTPRM said:
you fixed the windows?? holy crap its a miracle. what was the problem anyways? did water get into the harness or something...
It sure is a miracle! And I owe most of it to Vince (blacktop). I swapped in a known good door harness from a salvaged MR2. I had inspected the harness before installation to make sure there were no pinches or breaks in the wires. After installation, we couldn't get any juice anywhere on the harness (using a test lamp). I tore into the fuse block in the kick panel and just played with that for a while (checking continuity and looking for loose wires). Vince noticed that I had a plug hanging down in the area that looked like it should plug in somewhere, but he wasn't sure. He climbed into his MR2 and looked around to see what was different. He said that the harness looked like it plugged into a relay that was up under the dash (but wasn't able to get it out to try on mine). The next day, I went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up the relay. I plugged it in and the windows worked. All this time, I wasn't able to get them to work because I was missing a freaking relay. The goobs at Best Buy must have removed the relay when they removed the security system the day I bought it 6 years ago (that was the first place I went after transferring the title). I could have sworn that the windows worked when I bought it, but I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't make an issue of it with Best Buy. No wonder Aaron from ATS Racing wasn't able to fix them when I asked him to look at them a few years ago.

Cliff Notes: It was a missing relay.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TBeck2000 said:
It sure is a miracle! And I owe most of it to Vince (blacktop). I swapped in a known good door harness from a salvaged MR2. I had inspected the harness before installation to make sure there were no pinches or breaks in the wires. After installation, we couldn't get any juice anywhere on the harness (using a test lamp). I tore into the fuse block in the kick panel and just played with that for a while (checking continuity and looking for loose wires). Vince noticed that I had a plug hanging down in the area that looked like it should plug in somewhere, but he wasn't sure. He climbed into his MR2 and looked around to see what was different. He said that the harness looked like it plugged into a relay that was up under the dash (but wasn't able to get it out to try on mine). The next day, I went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up the relay. I plugged it in and the windows worked. All this time, I wasn't able to get them to work because I was missing a freaking relay. The goobs at Best Buy must have removed the relay when they removed the security system the day I bought it 6 years ago (that was the first place I went after transferring the title). I could have sworn that the windows worked when I bought it, but I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't make an issue of it with Best Buy. No wonder Aaron from ATS Racing wasn't able to fix them when I asked him to look at them a few years ago.

Cliff Notes: It was a missing relay.
sorry for this, but... HAHAHA. 6 years with non working windows because of a relay?? thats terrible man.

i know how that is though. when i first bought my car, i had NO bass from the subwoofers. i couldnt for the life of me figure it out. about a year later, i happened upon a random plug that was disconnected, and that was it.

i hate stupid stuff like that. but on the same note, it could be worse!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well...I regrettably had mine out the other weekend. And while I was out I hit a patch of ice and slide into a tree. The cars almost done being fixed, and should look better than it did before. I'm gonna post with before and after pics once I get home to takes some pics of it. This is definitely the last time I drive it in the winter!! That's what beaters are for!!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Ugh, now mine is leaking oil out all the way around the valve cover. Not to mention the rain leaks in around the windows like they're open 1/4"... Yuck. What a mess. Still trying to find the annoying rattle sound that comes out of the engine bay hatch mounting area...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just ordered silk road coilovers, should be delivered sometime in feb. just got my kenjyi harness bar the other day, so as soon as I sell my pro-kit/tokicos set up I will buy some sparco harnesses. I will finally install all of my prothane bushings. and shortly before I put it away I replaced rear calipers, all rotors, installed porterfield pads, goodridge SS brake lines, and my custom built tko copied exhaust. it sure will feel good to drive it again.

dc5 - I have a set of stock alloy 14's for sale with basically brand new tires on them(its a cheaper brand tire, good for regular driving though).

Brad

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is your car a first or second gen? I'm interested in the wheels if they are MkII or the suspension if its a MkI. Let me know

·
Registered
633 Posts
Currently the engine is out and torn down, Getting a new head, forged pistons, new downpipe.

If money allows i need some of those trailing arm bushings, you know those big ones on the long shaft coming from before the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Here are my plans:

Finish wiring on my swap (spark porblem)
Find aftermarket b-pipe gasket
Find mechanical speedo sensor
Find intercooler shroud
Find intercooler fan
Wire in boost gauge
Work on RickyB's power primer

Car should be driveable by end of Feb.(knock on wood), and then I can start working on building the beast up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My turbo and ECU are at ATS, waiting for a ct27/rom tune package to get back. Also have a Berk intercooler on the way. Hope to have everything together by the end of Feburary.

·
Registered
440 Posts
well winter is hopefully starting to wind down so here is my list

-going to go with some V710s this year instead of the hoosiers. (still need to purchase)
-FD RX-7 wheels to put my azenis tires on (purchased, sitting in boxes in my room)
-fix exhaust hangar problem (exhaust is bottoming out on the crossmember, need a more robust mount for the supertrapp exhaust)
-oil change (hehe)
-4 point harness (will probably get for my birthday in may)

and thats about it.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
onikage187 said:
wutever i can afford since it is my daily driver
you live in kent? i went to school there. what kind of mr2 do you have?

dunno if you ever saw me...but i had a teal turbo.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts