MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Window Auto-Up Function

20K views 81 replies 57 participants last post by  LJD1 
#1 · (Edited)
A while back a bunch of us rushed to modify the driver's side controls to allow for an auto-up function. I am adding a how-to section to my site, so I thought this would be the quickest and easiest modification to throw on there first. Those who have and have not done this mod give me your opinions. Hopefully this will make those who missed out on this mod aware of it while providing a good testing ground for the new section of my site :)

Window Auto-Up Guide

The pictures are semi-poor quality because I did this quite a while back, before I had my nice new 5.1 megapixel camera. Maybe one of these days I will pull the piece out and take some better pictures. Right now I am more concerned about the clairity of the directions and the site layout. Also, is there anything else you would want in the table toward the top about the mod?

Thanks for any input. Hope this helps some other people out too :)

#5 ·
I would also circul what ever you are talking about in the description so that someone who hasnt done it before can see more of what you are talking about. I love this mod to. When I go on base and its rainging now i can hit the button to get the window up and still shift while making the turn.

#15 ·
posted by Rojgonz
Just out of curiosity, why did you solder the diode on the back side of the circuit board instead of mounting it on the component side?

Good write-up! :thumbup
Because you can't. You have to bend some metal parts that are on the up-side of the board. It is more simple to put the diode on the back of the board.
The pic of the up-side of the board i have sent to Gordaen is taken from a JDM Board.

If you look carefully at the pic the board is reversed. I have took off the JDM Diode on that board to take the photo!

Ciao,
Valerio.

#17 ·
Bear in mind that cars originally equipped with this function will halt the upward movement of the window should anything get in it's way, and back the window up a little. I do not believe the MR2 has this function, thus the board lacking the diode to completely eliminate the possibility of crushing a hand or a neck. I think this is a huge liability...

#19 ·
Originally posted by ggiubilo
Gordaen: YGM: Pics sent!
Thanks again, many props to you! :)

Originally posted by infinitezero
does it matter what kind of diode I use? Thanks

andrew
1N4003, 1N4005, and 1N5404 have all been used. Any similar diode will work as well.

Originally posted by velandia
All I can say is: WOW! I love easy mods! Haven't done it yet, but from the instructions it looks really simple. (as long as taking the control panel out isn't a PITA)
It's very easy :)

Originally posted by Chucez
holy moly! I didn't know that the auto up was not normal.
That's one thing I love about it. If I were ever CRAZY enough to let someone else drive my MR2 (who doesn't know a LOT about them), he/she would never realize it has been modified.

I need to get to work on the rest of the mods on my pages. Most of them I have all the pics for, I just need to do the writeups. If anyone really wants certain ones, let me know. I'll be on vacation for the next few weeks, but when I get back I am working on the car, the webpage, and building my new computer! :)

-G-

#22 ·
can i get these 1N4003, 1N4005, and 1N5404 diodes from radioshack? Are the part numbers correct so that i can go in and say, "hey, i need a diode, part # 1N4003, 1N4005, or 1N5404."

I really want atleast the autodown function for the passenger side. Anyone know how to do it? Is it possible just to get another AUTO window switch and swap them or what? I know when i drove a GS300, all the windows in the car were auto up and down! it kicked so much ass.

#26 ·
Originally posted by Vrooom Psshhh
can i get these 1N4003, 1N4005, and 1N5404 diodes from radioshack? Are the part numbers correct so that i can go in and say, "hey, i need a diode, part # 1N4003, 1N4005, or 1N5404."
dont' bother the associates... they have a bin in the back with all the electrical components... go there and look for yourself... working in retail myself, i really hate it when people ask for associates to solve problems or locate things that are in plain sight...

Originally posted by Edizzy1209
so this is only auto up for the drivers side window or can the drivers side windo auto up the passenger side?
just driver's side.... the passenger's side would require much more modification....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.