MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
sikmr2 said:
Does this only work on the SW20's? Or are the AW11 switches similar in deisgn, the circuit board that is?
it shuold already be built in, but there's a plastic molded piece that doesn't allow you to push the outer button forward. crack open that piece from the back and it'll give you auto up IIRC. i did it to my old mk1 like 5 yrs ago. u should be able determine which plastic to shave off wit an exacto knife when you pop the switch and look on the bottom side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
mrazntre said:
it shuold already be built in, but there's a plastic molded piece that doesn't allow you to push the outer button forward. crack open that piece from the back and it'll give you auto up IIRC. i did it to my old mk1 like 5 yrs ago. u should be able determine which plastic to shave off wit an exacto knife when you pop the switch and look on the bottom side.
I have already pulled the switch out and cut the plastic tab off and now the window will go up if i hold the outside part of the switch down but still no auto up. I tried getting the rest of the switch apart to see if i could see where to put the diode like in the sw20 couldnt for the life of me get it apart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
sikmr2 said:
I have already pulled the switch out and cut the plastic tab off and now the window will go up if i hold the outside part of the switch down but still no auto up. I tried getting the rest of the switch apart to see if i could see where to put the diode like in the sw20 couldnt for the life of me get it apart.
weird.... i was able to get it to auto up without touching anything else. however, when my main window up switch stopped working, it only worked as you described.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
so as im from australia and have a rhd jap spec mr2 with auto up on the drivers side(rhd) i would just be able to use a usdm swicth that has two stages and wire that in for auto up on my drivers side(lhd)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
sikmr2 said:
I have already pulled the switch out and cut the plastic tab off and now the window will go up if i hold the outside part of the switch down but still no auto up. I tried getting the rest of the switch apart to see if i could see where to put the diode like in the sw20 couldnt for the life of me get it apart.
I got mine apart, and my advice to you is don't. It is a pain in the ass to get open, and you will likely break something, (I know I did). Also, when you get it open you will be disappointed, there are no circuit boards, just the switches you can see from the top. There is nothing you can really modify in this switch that can't be accomplished by cutting/splicing the wires that lead to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
seven_mgte said:
I got mine apart, and my advice to you is don't. It is a pain in the ass to get open, and you will likely break something, (I know I did). Also, when you get it open you will be disappointed, there are no circuit boards, just the switches you can see from the top. There is nothing you can really modify in this switch that can't be accomplished by cutting/splicing the wires that lead to it.
So maybe the diode is wired into the lom somewhere and not the swithch then. If so, does anyone know what wire to splice the diode into?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Was trying to do the soldering part today. How did you guys solder the diode since its such a small piece. Did you hold it with tweezers or what? I ended up trashing my diodes cause my solder gun was burning it up since it was so small. Any tips for the soldering part for this mod?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,572 Posts
Sillyazn said:
Was trying to do the soldering part today. How did you guys solder the diode since its such a small piece. Did you hold it with tweezers or what? I ended up trashing my diodes cause my solder gun was burning it up since it was so small. Any tips for the soldering part for this mod?
Melt the solder on the circuit board in the two spots where the diode will sit. This will reveal two holes in the circuit board that you can slide the wires from the diode into. Slide them through and solder by heating up the diode wire and touching the solder to the base of it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,065 Posts
i would really like to custom fab up something to make both switches auto up and down, as well as the one on the passenger door. if not that, then just a button hooked to a time delay to just do everything for ya, and then make the auto switch back into fully manual by not letting it travel as much.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
3,519 Posts
you could also try the "autoloc" window modules. My friend has some on his s2k that all he has to do is unlock the convertible top and hit the down button andboth windows drop too. Also has auto up on both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
skdiaglo this is because the car isnt fitted with any type of sensor to detect peoples heads/arms etc in the window path. usually this sensor is a resistance built into the motor or is in the top door seal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Gordaen said:
A while back a bunch of us rushed to modify the driver's side controls to allow for an auto-up function. I am adding a how-to section to my site, so I thought this would be the quickest and easiest modification to throw on there first. Those who have and have not done this mod give me your opinions. Hopefully this will make those who missed out on this mod aware of it while providing a good testing ground for the new section of my site :)

Window Auto-Up Guide

The pictures are semi-poor quality because I did this quite a while back, before I had my nice new 5.1 megapixel camera. Maybe one of these days I will pull the piece out and take some better pictures. Right now I am more concerned about the clairity of the directions and the site layout. Also, is there anything else you would want in the table toward the top about the mod?

Thanks for any input. Hope this helps some other people out too

EDIT: 20Jun05, updated link to point to new MR2 page.

-G-
Cool mod!
I was able to sodder the diode on the underside, looks original like jdm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
off topic but does anyone know where all the window relays are that are on the passenger side window harness and could cause it not to work...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
Another faithful convert! I did this last night and it rocks!

I altered the method a bit from the instructions, though; I never pulled the board. Just looked from the bottom to see the label, then poked holes in the solder with the diode wires. Then I cut the wires a bit (they were like 1" on either end of the diode). Then I put the wires through the holes so they were barely visible on the underside. Then I twisted the entire diode sideways so I could come straight down with the iron (the wire goes straight up from the board, then bends to the side, then bends into the diode). Got the iron hot and melted some solder onto the end. Then I got the iron hot again (so the solder was bubbling a bit on the tip), and touched each diode wire. The solder jumped across and pooled up at the base of the wire, where it stuck good.

[edit]Well, I guess the instructions don't say to remove the board. So I followed them all the way. I did read somewhere that said to un-solder the leads and pull the board though.[/edit]
 
41 - 60 of 82 Posts
Top