MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 MR2 and i am going to put a 4AGZE engine in my 86 and i want to know if i have to buy a tranmission for that engine or if i can use my stock 86 NA transmission.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
you can use the trans that you currently have. If you want it to last don't do any drag launches though. I've gone through a couple sets of axles and a few NA trannies with my SC.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
The stock transmission will work. The E-51 (GZE) transmission has slightly longer gearing than the (stock N/A) C-50 / 52, and it is stronger, but it is a major PITA to adapt it and the S/C axles to the pre '87 rear suspension.

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
If your tranny is in good health and you don't do 3,000 rpm clutch drops, your transaxle should be fine.

I've got about 10,000 hard miles on my GZE swap, using my 86's stock tranny. No difference in tranny feel or performance.

tas02 said:
like an all wheel drive car w/a fragile tranny.
got triple a??
no, not really

·
Registered
101 Posts
I figured the older MR2 trannies, even though not as strong, would launch quicker with some stronger axles in place due to the gearing for the lower horse power motor. Is this not so with the MR2s?

TC.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
ISUZUPERFORMA said:
I figured the older MR2 trannies, even though not as strong, would launch quicker with some stronger axles in place due to the gearing for the lower horse power motor. Is this not so with the MR2s?

TC.

Hmm, now thats an idea. I have a C-52 from an 88na MR2 on my 4agze. But, I really haven't driven it much to test it's strength. I'm using rebuilt 85na axles. But, yea.. if we could find someone that could make custom beefier N/A axles, that would be great.

Todd
87sc

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
I believe Jody (kbox) is running the early trans with a 4agze. he seems to like the short gearing with the s/c. Ask him. I think the s/c trans is like 750-70 lbs heavier too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts