MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if you had a turbo car, would the 3sge bolt right up to everything if you swapped it directly for a 3sgte?

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
^ the question doesn't make sense!

So I have a turbo (a 3sgte) .. and I swapped it directly for a 3sgte?

But to answer the "Will a 3sge bolt up to a 3sgte tranny?" .. YES. You will need to address the clutch disc since the 3sge and 3sgte uses a different size input shaft. You can use a 5sfe clutch disc.

Su

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, its late, im at work, and tired :)

Could you swap in a 3SGE into a 91 turbo using all the parts from the car....so take out the 3SGTE and put in the 3SGE.

i know this prolly sounds like a stupidass question :)

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha i figured everyone would ask that...

just a thought, i dont really care to much about straightline and wouldnt mind getting one, but it wouldnt be anything but a BEAMS 3s...just posting for _____ i suppose :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
this could be a wrong approach but why dont you just take out the turbo and its components and replace them to make it into a 3sge. It seems like it might save some money and you could sell the parts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I see, now that makes sense. Who knew the t was that important.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Thats the worst thing you could do for multiple reasons and the main one is after all is said and done you would only have about 130-140 hp.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Neona said:
because the 3sge and 3sgte are totally different motors.
They aren't totally different they are just setup for different applications. One forced induction and the other Normally aspirated. ECU's are one of the biggest differences.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ecu's, compression ratio, oil squirters in the block (although maybe the BEAMS had oil squirters), cam profiles im pretty sure... lots more diff than just ECU. else we'd all just pick up a 3SGE from an 89 Celica GTS and slap on a turbo with a 3SGTE ecu ;)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The 3S-GE is quite different, just as a hard example the 2nd Gen 3S-GE (available in the same years as the US turbo) makes 156hp, if you simply took the turbo off the GTE and installed N/A exhaust you'd most likely make around 120-125hp. Basically what gtfourdreams listed: cams, compression ratio, ecu, etc are all different.

With the right clutch disc a GE should bolt to an E153 tranny, but I think with the wider gear ratios of the turbo tranny the car will be pretty sluggish.
I've thought about this also, I'm really not a fan of turbo engines; they make lots of power easily, but I really love n/a response and no spool time. The conclusion I came to is that the GE engine would be fun, but I would feel silly swapping all of the turbo stuff out for an engine with not even half the torque and maybe half the hp. It'd be a lot of time and money for a much slower engine, all in the interest of response.
If I'd started with an N/A or if they sold 3S-GE MR2s in america I'd be all over a 3SGE, but swapping out the turbo for one seems kinda foolish.

So, I've decided to go the win-win option: the V6. N/A response, tons of low end (dyno graphs show about 90% of peak torque is available at less than 2k rpm!), and torque/power to compete with the turbo engine. Plus the V6 was practically made for the E153 (especially the 93+ E153).

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldnt actually trade my TD06 3sgte for a 3sge, even a beams... i guess im just posting for the hell of it, just wondering since i know the 5s tranny works with it, figured id see if the 3sgte works with it....GOSH!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
emopunk96 said:
I wouldnt actually trade my TD06 3sgte for a 3sge, even a beams... i guess im just posting for the hell of it, just wondering since i know the 5s tranny works with it, figured id see if the 3sgte works with it....GOSH!
I hope I wasn't being insulting or anything, that's not what I meant at all

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm afraid you're all wrong with the 3SGE. The only differences between this engine and a 3SGTE are pistons, ECU, intake, exhaust and two additional oil passages to lubricate the turbo. The rest is identical.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts