MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am about to rebuild my 3sgte in my 91. I plan to do a stock rebuild. But I am going to add a MBC, Boost gauge, and the NGK copper 6097 plugs. I would like to bump the boost to 15psi with the above mentioned items as mentioned in the power primer on mrcontrols website. But my deal is I am looking at the big picture and like to take a few more preventative measures than most would. I want to add water injection. I hear that winshield washer fluid (the blue type) is good to run cause it is the right mixture of water and alcohol. I would like to get the coolingmist kit. It looks to be in my price range and should be sufficient for my needs. But my main deal is should I save my money and put it elsewhere? I don't really plan to make any more power with it butif I did that would just be a plus.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I don't think windshield washer fluid would work very well with a pump, it has a lot of soap that may kill the seals.
Usually you run distilled water and only add alcohol when necessary (for cold weather).

I think it would be overkill for the mods you want to do. Just do basic maintenance like cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filter, the hoses from hell, timing belt+water pump (depending on mileage). If you're rebuilding the engine you should have the injectors cleaned too.
Are you rebuilding the engine out of necessity? If not that's really a waste of effort. A well maintained 3S-GTE will easily last 200k miles.

It sounds like a lot of maintenance, but honestly you'd be much better off doing that than buying a WI kit for a near stock MR2.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Windex has worked fine in WI from what I've seen. It won't kill the pump; at least it didn't after 1.5-2 years in the car I know of.

Also, you don't need WI for 15 psi on the stock turbo. Just don't go over 15 psi.

WI will help fend off detonation, but it won't make any more power. At 15 psi, you won't be detonating, so don't worry about WI.

·
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rebuild is out of nessecity. I bought the car not running. It only cost me $500 for the car. :) I am soooooo ready to get this baby running. Can't wait.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ludeykrus said:
WI will help fend off detonation, but it won't make any more power. At 15 psi, you won't be detonating, so don't worry about WI.
It's pretty hard to say that without watching the actual engine doing it. I know many people that have popped engines due to detonation at that boost level, or sooner.

For fluid, use DISTILLED water, and add METHANOL if needed (home depot). Anything with a soap in it will clog up the filter, gunk up the nozzle/jet over time.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
hmm... lets seee...

Partznet lists stock pistons as $55/ea, ring set is $87 for a whopping total of: $307.

A reasonable water injection kit is about $250... so... that's about $557 for pistons/rings, WI.

If I were you, and doing a stock rebuild... I'd take that $557 and buy a set of CP forged pistons. They are lighter, much more resistant to detonation, and come with rings that will hold up a lot better than the stock ones. Plus, if you're doing the rebuild now, you only THINK you're not going to go much higher in power. Just wait, it will hit you sooner or later and you'll be glad to have the forged internals... really with stock rods and those CP pistons, you're bottom end will be good for 500whp... 700whp has been made on stock rods, but thats the ragged edge.

Save your money and buy WI when the time comes. Since you're doing the rebuild NOW... get the right rebuild parts NOW. :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
chris_dittrick said:
It's pretty hard to say that without watching the actual engine doing it.
True; I was just speaking from my experience. I mean if you run 15 psi on the CT26 PROPERLY, then you should have no problems. "Properly", imo, means: running 93 octane, using a step colder copper plugs, having a good ignition system, doing proper maintenence, etc. I have ran ~15psi in very cold and very hot weather, and so far have not had any problems.

I FULLY agree w/ boostd4! Scrap the WI for now and upgrade the internal parts while you got it apart; you'll regret not doing it later.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
its all up to you. i personally like the idea of water injection as a saftey measure in turbocharged applications. it's been around for quite a while and proven extremely effective in many applications ranging from aerial to automotive. if you have the extra money then why not, it can't hurt anything.

·
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I was thinking just a basic rebuild with all stock parts. I am already going to run the step colder plugs and won't have it on high boost (15psi) unless I have a tank of 93 octane. I don't really forsee me ever going over 300WHP and I know that the stock internals can do that all day. I just simply don't have the money to go above that. ;)

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Well... I was just pointing out that it wouldn't cost you any more money than you're already planning on spending if you wait on the WI.

It's nice to have the added protection... aside from a performance potential view, lighter pistons means a lighter rotating assembly. That means less stress on your bearings, marginally better gas mileage, etc.

Also, if you ever want to sell your car, having a built bottom end is always a plus. I'm sure you'd make up the extra $250 you'd spend on WI in resale value having the bottom built.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I used to push 17psi on ct26 without any significant detonation (monitored by TVSV light). This was with an apex ic, intake, exhaust, fans, and 93 octane. Now that I moved and only have 91 octane, i'm sometimes seeing detonation even at 15psi! So I'm putting in a WI kit, especially because I'm going to upgrade to a larger turbo soon.

As far as step colder plugs, I had bad luck with them. The foul quickly and cause hesitation. I would stick with stock plugs until you surpass the power output of the ct26.

·
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where can I get the afore mentioned forged pistons? I can get stock pistons in a kit for like $170. I plan to get the kit from importperformanceparts.net as I have heard good things about them. I am doing all the work myself except the machine work. I just don't want to have to rebuild the motor anytime soon. Ya know.

·
270whp on a CT26...
3,458 Posts
ChrisK at www.enginelogics.com (board sponsor) has the CP connections. he got me my pistons (CP) very quickly.

also, you might like to know that forged pistons run cooler than cast pistons, are much stronger, and much lighter. :)

·
R.I.P. Red
3,906 Posts
Dont forget that water injection will also keep the inside of his motor clean. No carbon build up can be a good thing. Thats why im going with WI as soon as I can afford it. I am planing on hitting 350-400hp within the next few years to thogh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts