MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you never see an mr2 in any of the time attack series. at least i dont. as far as a specific event, ime talking about time attacks in general. ime on the east coast so i usually see them in magazine coverage. like redline time attack and the other popular time attack events. i also read in import tuner where someone was asking advice about turning one into a time attack car and was told it wouldnt be worth it,they should find a better platform.

·
Premium Member
12,887 Posts
Berk Technologies runs an MR2 in the redline time attack...

A big part of the issue is sponsorship... Magazines and big tuner companies (greddy, HKS, ect ect) don't care about old cars that nobody makes parts for anymore, why should they? They can sell 100x as many parts for EVO's and S2000's as they can for an MR2. So those are the cars that get the coverage and the sponsorship, so those are the cars people use.

·
0 Posts
IF JGTC is anything like time attack, the SW20 dominated that class of racing in 97 and 99 so much so that the TRD2000gt was made.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ghostrida3 said:
you never see an mr2 in any of the time attack series. at least i dont. as far as a specific event, ime talking about time attacks in general. ime on the east coast so i usually see them in magazine coverage. like redline time attack and the other popular time attack events. i also read in import tuner where someone was asking advice about turning one into a time attack car and was told it wouldnt be worth it,they should find a better platform.
but on the same note there are alot of rx7s and they are in the us almost as rare as mr2s.

·
SW20 Gets Girls
4,916 Posts
There are 240SX time attack cars, 86 Corolla time attack cars...MR2s just don't get any sponsorship love. Someone needs to build an all out one, campaign it, and get some magazine coverage.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
3sgtepower said:
IF JGTC is anything like time attack, the SW20 dominated that class of racing in 97 and 99 so much so that the TRD2000gt was made.

Really? i thought the TRD2000GT was homoglation made to be able to race in the JGTC per JGTC rules? I also thought the MK2 MR2 did poorly in JGTC...

There are MK2's that perform well in time attacks. There is the BERK Redline time attack car, there is Brad Bedell and his supercharged V6 MK2, and there was HYDE that did numerous time attacks. All of these are popular cars but only did Brads make national mag news which means nothing. In fact most of the cars you see featured in magazines have no track record or a so so record.

·
Banned
7,147 Posts
240's and Corollas are way more popular then the MR2. The MR2 is more rare than the RX-7 everywhere but in CA (they just had a meet with 100+ MR2's Lol).

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Servin said:
There are MK2's that perform well in time attacks. There is the BERK Redline time attack car, there is Brad Bedell and his supercharged V6 MK2, and there was HYDE that did numerous time attacks. All of these are popular cars but only did Brads make national mag news which means nothing. In fact most of the cars you see featured in magazines have no track record or a so so record.
but that being said i never see these cars in the top 5 of each category in any of the time attacks that the magazines cover. why is that?

·
0 Posts
No the MK2 MR2 won the JGTC 300 in (edit)98 and 99, they did quite well.

If you include the MRS, midengined Toyotas have won more JGTC 300's than any other name plate

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I would think it's because of where it's classed. I'm not seasoned with NASA or SCCA rules AT ALL, but I looked into it because I'm planning on running time attacks. The mk2 Turbo is in a GT class, with Porches and such. There's someone on here (kbrew, I think) who successfully runs his mk2 NA in stock class time attacks.

But in regards to Redline Time Attacks, I really think it comes down to money, like someone else said - companies don't make money off us. Our market is too small. Chris (prkiller) is building his mk2 turbo to compete in Redline Time Attacks, which is an awesome thing - her was their head instructor, and has TONS of experience. He had a thread with some pics in the 3sgte forum.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Alex W said:
Berk Technologies runs an MR2 in the redline time attack...

A big part of the issue is sponsorship... Magazines and big tuner companies (greddy, HKS, ect ect) don't care about old cars that nobody makes parts for anymore, why should they? They can sell 100x as many parts for EVO's and S2000's as they can for an MR2. So those are the cars that get the coverage and the sponsorship, so those are the cars people use.

Bingo! The people and the passion are there we just lack the funding for our cars. We the enthusiast have come to the point were we don?t really need the R&D of HKS, Greddy, and those other popular Japanese performance companies. Nearly all of the fastest MR2s are complete customs. I believe with the proper funding all generation MR2s would dominate almost every time attack and auto X event.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
ghostrida3 said:
Actually, MR2s have been in time attacks since time attack competitions first came to the U.S.

-- DavidV :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts