MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm just wondering, i know we inject "nos" because it contains more oxygen than air, so why not just inject oxygen?

·
engineer4me
2,730 Posts
Teyvareb said:
Nitrous oxide is less stable than compound oxygen, making the atomic bonds easier to break apart.
Not to be rude, but you're wrong. Nitrous oxide has to be broken down to release the oxygen to be burned.
Good FAQ:
http://members.aol.com/agspeed/nos.htm

The reason compressed oxygen isn't used is for safety reasons. If you were to have the tank rupture, and you have an exremely oxygen rich environment, everything go boom.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought that may have been it, but surely a nitrous leak would have the same effect... providing a lot of extra oxygen to burn things...

·
Registered
891 Posts
I always read that N2O was effective because it offered more gas to expand on combustion and that it was used because it is quite stable, offering predictable reactions in the engine. Also, it has a cooling effect on air in the combustion chamber, allowing more ambient air to fit inside the combustion chamber. And as for pure O2, while that would be something, it would make quite a mess if a leak occured or the tank ruptured.

FWIW.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
TRD2000 said:
i thought that may have been it, but surely a nitrous leak would have the same effect... providing a lot of extra oxygen to burn things...
N2O, straight out of the bottle, won't burn anything. When it is brought to high temp in the combustion chamber it separates into nitrogen and oxygen.

·
Registered
361 Posts
No, see, compound oxygen (o2) has a strong double bond between the two atoms. Nitrous-oxide, because of the nitrogen atom, has only single bonds between the oxygen and nitrogen and the electron bonds arent as strong as they are between two oxygen atoms. Compound oxygen has to be broken down into single atoms just like nitrous-oxide, but it's easier to break down nitrous due to the weaker bonds. I'm not talking stability like water vs nitroglycerin, it's more of a gas/alcohol comparison. Straight oxygen would be the ideal choice, but like pablo said, safety reasons.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Teyvareb said:
No, see, compound oxygen (o2) has a strong double bond between the two atoms. Nitrous-oxide, because of the nitrogen atom, has only single bonds between the oxygen and nitrogen and the electron bonds arent as strong as they are between two oxygen atoms. Compound oxygen has to be broken down into single atoms just like nitrous-oxide, but it's easier to break down nitrous due to the weaker bonds. I'm not talking stability like water vs nitroglycerin, it's more of a gas/alcohol comparison. Straight oxygen would be the ideal choice, but like pablo said, safety reasons.
It's 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen. Dinitrogen oxide. Safety reasons isn't the only thing keeping people from using it, it would likely melt the engine down even if you had a fire hose of fuel coming in (slight exaggeration)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts