MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
god dammit....

i just got done replacing my first seized up transmission with a 95 lsd trans.

it was good for two weeks and now the ____ING$!$!$&*@*(&^ 1ST GEAR IS GRINDING!!! AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

/vent

anyway, could stretched cables be causing the gear to grind when the clutch is still depressed? i have a sinking feeling its the syncros though...

how much are new syncros? where is the best place to get them?

i thought the 95 trans was spose to be stronger? are the transmissions in these cars really that weak or do i just have bad luck?

please somebody help me out before i go out and burn it...

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
not usually, if its well taken care of the later generations of the E153 are quite bullet proof. i would check your pedal height adjustment, and for streached cables and such.

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
man i feel your pain it suks. theres always somethings wrong in my 93 also, but damn its the price we pay for playing around with 11+ year old cars. yea try using syncromesh maybe if you get lucky it will mask it. pedal height adjustment might help

·
Registered
365 Posts
silvertopterror said:
god dammit....

i just got done replacing my first seized up transmission with a 95 lsd trans.

it was good for two weeks and now the ____ING$!$!$&*@*(&^ 1ST GEAR IS GRINDING!!! AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

/vent

anyway, could stretched cables be causing the gear to grind when the clutch is still depressed? i have a sinking feeling its the syncros though...

how much are new syncros? where is the best place to get them?

i thought the 95 trans was spose to be stronger? are the transmissions in these cars really that weak or do i just have bad luck?

please somebody help me out before i go out and burn it...
you wernt the guy who bought my trans were u?

Are u trying to be rolling and drop it into 1st?

or when u are stopped and all is depressed dosnt want to go in?

it surly sounds like it is not the tranny's fault...i would check else where

Cables, hydralics, anyways i never hear anyone have probs with 1st

I did when i lost an axle bolt and put a hole in the back of my trans @120+mph and was driving for a while, then 1st gear seized on me :) (not the transmission i sold, i gave this one to a guy in seattle)

best of luck and dont get depressed, i had a summer where my engine was in and out 14 times and i was working 60 hours a week, i went through 3 engines that summer :)

Also before i left the country (day b4 xmas) i flew to cali and bought a TT supra, 10mins after owning i got in my 1st accident, i was about 3k in on fixing it...

Sometimes life sucks, but you need to look to what is being taught from this experiance and see what positive you can take from it.
If you look at a situation positevaly it will be positive, if you look at it negatively it will be negative

Look at this situation as a way to become more familiar with you car, so when someone down the road needs help with the same situation you can easly help them trouble shoot

BTW if u cant figure it out, pm me and i can shoot you my number, and i can help ya over the phone
dave

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
you can enjoy your mr2! I enjoyed it even when my 91 transmission grinded when I did high rpm down shifts and upshifts. But after putting in synchromesh fluid, the grinding was gone after a few days! Give that a try. You'll feel the difference.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
billwot said:
No, but a failing master or slave cylinder would.

bill
I beleive that would cause all of your gears to grind, not just 1st.

I had a grinding 1st gear in my 94T w/ 100k miles on it. It improved with tranny fluid but did not disappear. I wouldn't call these trannys "bulletproof" by any stretch of the imagination.

My recommendation is tranny fluid to start. What kind did you put in htere to begin with?

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Justin311 said:
I beleive that would cause all of your gears to grind, not just 1st.

?
There is no synchro on first. All the others are synchronized.

If he means that he gets grinding when he tries to engage 1st from a stop, that can ONLY occur if the clutch is not fully disangaged.

bill

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
billwot said:
There is no synchro on first. All the others are synchronized.

bill
Wow. Never realized that, but now that I think about it it must be true. I've always rev matched when downshifting to 1st on tight autox tracks. Interesting :)

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
$90 transmission fluid

$1900 transmission

*shrug*

When my synchros went out, tranny fluid never helped.....that's just me though.

start over from SCRATCH :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
you mean double clutched into first? cause rev matching only gets the engine up to speed, not the input shaft (which was what the sychros are for)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys! im gonna go out now and do some investigating...

riceman... yup its me. all the stuff you sent me worked AWESOME! i have no complaints there. im going to start with the easy stuff first. it does have syncromesh in it already...and ive used that stuff in the past and know what a gift from god that stuff is. thats why i would like to think its not the trans... ill call you after this weekend (its going back to the shop i put the trans in at, were going to look it over)
sorry to hear about the supra...but on the bright side, you own a supra now! id be proud owning a broken supra!

billwot... is there any tests i can do to figure out if it is the master cylinder?

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
If it won't go into gear at idle, then the clutch is NOT disengaging.

If teh clutch does not disengage, then the problem is in the hydraulics.

The master cylinder only leaks internally. That means there is no loss of fluid.

The slave cylinder leaks externally. There will be fluid loss.

bill

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The clutch pedal often wears were the clutch master pushrod connects. A pin connects to two, the hole in the pedal sometimes "ovals" out over time. There is also a plastic bushing in there that wear out. I had a problem of hard getting into gear, and had to replace my clutch pedal and that bushing.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
how do i make it easier going into first while at 2-4 mph? i hate having to completely stop to make it into first... its such a pain when your at a traffic light that just turns green while you already slowed to 3mph and have to speed up again...so you have to completly stop and go to first or have the car at 900 rpm in 2nd gear and go very slowley up to speed.

·
Registered
526 Posts
yea grinding can be caused by a clutch not disengaging all the way.
can be caused by many things. master cylinder, pedal freeplay out of adjustment, clutch hydraulic lines, bent release fork, there are other things but i cant remember.

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
i have a tranny problem too when i shift up from 4th to 5th going pretty quick like above 40mph its grinds but if i shift it slowly or double gas it, it wont grind. what is the cause of my problem will syncromesh help it out. i get no grind downshifting from 5th to 4th

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
PsychoSquirrel said:
how do i make it easier going into first while at 2-4 mph? i hate having to completely stop to make it into first... its such a pain when your at a traffic light that just turns green while you already slowed to 3mph and have to speed up again...so you have to completly stop and go to first or have the car at 900 rpm in 2nd gear and go very slowley up to speed.
Get some Pennzoil Synchromesh manual transmission fluid. You can find them at Autozone for pretty cheap. You'll need 4 quarts I think. You will feel an immediate improvement in gear-shifting "slickness" and after a few days or a week, it will improve even further and you will gradually get used to how much easier it is to shift into first and all the other gears! My first gear also used to be impossible to shift into unless if I'm nearly stopped. and this was my exact experience after changing to the synchromesh fluid. Give it a try.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts