MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only want to invest in one set of rims for track and street. I don't plan to run highly competitive drag or track events, just a weekender.

I will keep my stock rims for drag radials and or inclement weather setup.

I want the quickest setup for the street and road/race, hill climb style racing on street tires I can have, without compromising safety, grip, or handling while remaining light.

The rim that meets this standard is the volk te37, but what size should I go?

The peak production for HP for my setup is slated at running around ~320whp daily through an sb .50 trim kit.

My suspension mods are: Tein springs, koni yellows, trd sways front and rear.

What do I have to loose going with 15" volks instead of 16"?
15x8 rear
15x7front

What I see:
1. They are lighter than 16"
2. Better choice of tires

No way I'm going 17", bling is not a factor to me.
Everyone says handling but please provide some detail to the aspects of handling you are speaking about. I'm not worried about a bumpy ride in the cabin, I want performance.

I can run a pretty wide tire on that 15x8 rear, the 16 offers a 16x8.5 however
is grip going to be a big issue on the 15s?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
In what way is a 17" bling? With a 17" wheel, you will run low profile tires, which, have stiff sidewalls, thus, you get less sidewall flex. This is not the same with a 15" tire./wheel setup. There is just as wide, if not better tire selection for 17" wheels too. You really want to rock 15's on the street? Think about it.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have thought about it. Google will turn up the answer you did and with
some searching here I fond these answers. However I'd like a little more input.

I will quote Jeff Fazio from some searches I did:

"If you are feeling the sidewalls of your 15s flex, maybe you need better tires A good performance tire should not flex to the point that you feel anything dramatic.
The best rims/tires I have ever autocrossed a MKII on were 15" Enkies with Kuhmo Victoracer tires."

"If you are purely thinking performance, I would recommend 15s.
17s are great for style/looks."

"The implication is that 17's will give you a small and stiffer sidewall offering less flex.
Although there is merit to this thinking, it obviously can't be the whole truth behind tire desing & handling.

If it were, why would CARTS/IRL/F1 have such HUGE sidewalls?

"I think having the right amount of sidewall allows the car to be a bit tossable" while still allowing the the tires to grip.
I race on 17s rear and 16s front and I am quite happy with it, but I suspect I would fair better with 15's and race tires."

And DavidV also uses 15" wheels off / on track

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
what are the street tire choices for 15"? sizes/brand/model?

the quote from jekyl above is about race tires, not street tires. race tires and street tires are very diff animals. davidv's tires are hoosiers.

even for track tires, the best setup to me looks like 15" fronts and 16" rears due to tire availability.

off the top of my head, the widest (while still staying somewhere near stock overall diameter for clearance and looks) for a street tire setup would be 225/45 16 and 245/45 16.

for 17's there are 225/35 17 fronts and a very large selection of 245/40 17 or 245/35 17 or 255/40 17.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EL PAALO said:
davidv's tires are hoosiers.
not for street:
Quote him on his 15"

"For off-track use, I have run Yokohama A032Rs.
The A032R is a heavy and loud tire, and not nearly as grippy as the Hoosier, but has one of the stiffest sidewalls on the market with minimal squirm and very predictable breakaway. Unlike the Hoosier, the A032R, while still an R compound, is still manufactured with internal steel belting, just like any other radial street tire. As a cheaper and more heat-cycle resistant alternative to these, I have also run the Falken Azenis (on my MKI) with good results."

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
the a032r is still a race tire.
if you're going to use a dot legal race tire that's very different than the street setup I interpreted from your initial post.
what type of tires are you planning to use?
jekyl's new setup will likely be 15 front and 16 rear because of tire availability as I mentioned before.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EL PAALO said:
jekyl's new setup will likely be 15 front and 16 rear because of tire availability as I mentioned before.
thanks el paalo, you always have good input!

What tires for this setup would you recommend for a fair weather high performance street setup? I know the track tires that are out

I think a 15" front would maintain the light turn in feel and the 16 " rear gives good contact options?

·
Registered
934 Posts
LRG's setup (off the top of my head) is the Kosei K1 in 15x7 +38mm offset wheel w/ a 225/50-15 tire up front and 16x8.5 +37mm offset wheels w/ a 245/45-16 tire. I think that's right. The Buddy Club P1's are also available in similar sizes as the Kosei K1.

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
that seems like the best inexpensive race wheel setup I've heard of .....
here's buddy clubs sizing chart:
http://first-inc.co.jp/buddyclub/p1r/p1lup.html

for tire choices, just check discounttire.com, vulcantire.com, toyo.com, and tirerack.com.
that's about it, afaik. discount never shows stuff that isn't in stock and I think tirerack has started going that route as well, so don't necessarily believe everything you don't see.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
EL PAALO said:
that seems like the best inexpensive race wheel setup
What do that exact buddy club model weigh in the 15x7 and 16x8?
What's the pricing?

Getting mixup on the web searching for info between models, saw your sight only has the sizes listed. no weights.

http://www.buddyclub.us/buddyclub/top_m.html

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
I know, I know ....... I haven't time or the inclination to do much updating lately.
should be exactly the same weights as kosei, should be easier to find the info for them .....
I would guess 16.5 lbs for the 16x8.5.

·
5,251 Posts
Anyone know if the Kosei 15x7s will clear the '93 brakes? I've searched a lot but when I hit on the rare 15, 16 Kosei combo the poster either has a '91 or doesn't list the year of his '2.

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
Tirerack is pretty conservative about listing rims that will fit. They don't list some that do fit. The 38mm offset will fit over the 93T front calipers if they list it, which they do. It would easily fit on the rear.

John
93T, 88 SC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts