MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
all appraisal books would be wrong in that situation. Modifications mean NOTHING when dealing with values unless both parties understand what they are doing.

Take the car to a dealer and he will give you book rate or in some cases the mods will hurt the car.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
VERY TRUE.....you'll get more money for a bone stock mr2 in great condition than one thats been hacked to chit with all kinds of mods...

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
mr2's always go for more than blue book value, thats just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i agree that you can get more for a stock car, but if it was me, i would rather get a car with lots of mods for the same price as a stock car. that's just me, but i have been seeing some really horrible offers these days for MR2's.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
The problem with an already modified car is that you don't know the quality of the modifications that were done. A lot of people half ass things & then you're stuck cleaning up & replacing their work.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
I learned this oh so painfully on my spyder. Thanks to David Hawkins it is living again.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm gonna post this yet again. No matter how much the car is worth to you, that is not necessarily how much it is worth in the real world. Face it, this year the newest MK2s are 10 years old. A large portion of car buyers wont even look at cars that old, let alone consider purchasing them. Alot of MR2 owners get what they're asking because either A) Kids with more money than they should have (read: mommy and daddy's money) see the car in a magazine or on the streets and decide thats the car that they have to have and buy it, or B) They see the car in a magazine or on the streets when theyre younger but they can't afford it at the time and vow to own one some day when they can. In any case, both are blinded by something that causes them not to consider exactly how much theyre dropping on an older high mileage car. Compound this with the fact that a few people are actually moving them at these inflated prices and suddenly everyone thinks that they can ask that much.

This is why I will never buy a MK2 from someone on this board.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
LowLife said:
i agree that you can get more for a stock car, but if it was me, i would rather get a car with lots of mods for the same price as a stock car.
Some people rather do all the mods themselves, not just enjoy a car they haven't help build. Because at the end it makes it all worthwhile. But like you say that's just you.

Maggot # 1

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
not true!

GippMR2 said:
(read: mommy and daddy's money) QUOTE]

GippMR2

yea but no. i'm 16 and saved up money for a couple of years just for my car and for college. my parents did not put one cent forth for my car and any related car things. thats pretty sh---y of you to say that man. also i have been a car person since birth and did NOT like this car from seeing it in a mag i like it because it is different, handles well, fun to drive, not because i saw a modded out one in a mag. but i do agree most parents do buy there kids cars. but not all. but hea whatever :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
also when looking for a mr2 try to stay away from ones that have mods, usually they have been pushed. try to get one off and older man/woman. who has records and is responsible.
thanks,
tred

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
GippMR2 said:
I'm gonna post this yet again. No matter how much the car is worth to you, that is not necessarily how much it is worth in the real world. Face it, this year the newest MK2s are 10 years old. A large portion of car buyers wont even look at cars that old, let alone consider purchasing them. Alot of MR2 owners get what they're asking because either A) Kids with more money than they should have (read: mommy and daddy's money) see the car in a magazine or on the streets and decide thats the car that they have to have and buy it, or B) They see the car in a magazine or on the streets when theyre younger but they can't afford it at the time and vow to own one some day when they can. In any case, both are blinded by something that causes them not to consider exactly how much theyre dropping on an older high mileage car. Compound this with the fact that a few people are actually moving them at these inflated prices and suddenly everyone thinks that they can ask that much.

This is why I will never buy a MK2 from someone on this board.
I agree with you. I think most of the mr2's on this board sell for way to much...IMO mr2's are awesome, but not as cool and godly as some of the people like to think they are...id just the same like to own another dsm, z32tt or _____, even a honda. Especially now when it costs just as much to make a mr2 as fast as any other n/a import.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Well at least someone agrees with me. I've been saying this for over a year now, and people just tell me that I'm wrong and that a 160k mile 91T is definitely worth $7k.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont know, i just can't imagine me selling my car for that kind of a price... the guy couldn't even buy a half clip for that kind of a offer... i understand some people dont have that kind of a money, but man, just move on and find something else cheaper than...

·
Owner Texas2s.com
1,816 Posts
dj_Twin_turbo said:
A car is worth whatever someone will pay for it :)
Bingo, we have a winner................ :thumbup

I sold my 91T w/165K on the odo a couple of years ago for $12K and I never figured I would get that much.
I sold my Spyder that I felt was easily worth $18K for little more than $15K and it took me 6 months to find a buyer.

It is all what someone will pay. The books are all supposed to be guides on what that number is, that is all. Unfortunetly it is all some folks have to work from on establishing an average value.

·
Registered
64 Posts
its all about the supply and demand. If nobody wants it you wont get squat if many people want a limited amount of cars well then you can play with the price a bit. Just simple economics. Just look at the recent price jumps of AE86's and worthless 240's and you can see supply and demand at its finest. Though I personally think that a MR2 turbo is worth the prices you see them going for. A MR car is an rare set up and the MR2 is just one of the cheaper quality MR setups that can be found. It also has the turbo aspect going for it, which again will win people over. I mean the next step up on the MR chain is the NSX and there is a bit of a price gap between those two.

·
Registered
91 Posts
actually there is one book that is a lot more accurate than KBB - it's the CPI Black Book. it only lists "Cars of Particular Interest". example: 93 Turbo in average condition is listed at $6375; 95 Turbo in average condition is $8900. if anyone needs it: blackbookusa.com

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.