MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im running a td06-20g on 17psi, standalone autronics tuned by no shoes, msd ignition, st205 water to air intercooler, 2.5 tko, k&n intake, je forged pistons, lowered compression (2002 cc), blitz dsbc 93 lsd if that matters

and im only getting 290 hp, and to mee i feel like with all the stuff that has been done i should be getting in the range of 325, my question is why am i not in that range?

can anyone help me out

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Which 20G kit are you running? If it's a GReddy... then the 2.5" downpipe and 2.5" exhaust are hurting you. I'd bet you'd pick up antoher 10whp with the 3" dp/exhaust.

Not sure what you mean by "lowered compression - 2002cc". "cc's" refer to displacement, not compression, and as far as that goes, stock is 1998cc, so you've INCREASED your displacement.

If you really have lowered your compression - by say, using a 1.6mm headgasket or something of the like - you need to run MORE boost to make the same power.

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
That's actually right around what I would expect for a conservative pump fuel tune. To make 325rwhp safely, I would expect you will need race gas. To run 325rwhp at 17psi, you will need cams or a better intake manifold.

·
I aint afraid of no boost
4,550 Posts
As Ricky stated, the power level is right in line with the VE modifications done to the car.

Have you found an autronic tuner in the DC area yet? That car needs to be wired for closed loop operation, and the off-boost portion of the map is horrendous. It needs some work.

Note to the board: I did not do any real tuning to the car. I repaired it and installed the air-water system. The previous owner sold the car to go to school, and this fellow picked it up. I have been swamped with projects and local tuning work, and have been unable to make it out of town since October, so I suggested that he find an Autronic tuner near him.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
oh hey man, nah i havent found an autronics tuner in the area yet, ive been trying to rebuild the turbo hopefully im sending it out this week to deadbolt, and i didnt realize that you didnt do a full tune, i guess thats the next thing in order,

maybe some one can help me out, are there any autronics tuners that are close by that any of you guys know of?

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
He probably heard that the TD06 is a 400rwhp turbo and that set his expectations. Since he's not getting it, the last person to touch the car is at fault. This is pure speculation on my part, but I've been on the tuning end of these situations far too many times to count.

The problem with your setup is that it is choked by the stock cams and intake manifold. Notice how your torque curve drops quickly once you pass 6K RPMs. That is happening because you have reached the limits of the amount of air your motor can flow. The only way to get more power with your current setup is to either increase boost so that more molecules are packed into the same volume of air or to increase timing advance so that the bottom end more efficiently turns each pound of air fuel mix into power. Both of those tricks require the use of race gas to perform safely and effectively at this point.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RickyB said:
He probably heard that the TD06 is a 400rwhp turbo and that set his expectations. Since he's not getting it, the last person to touch the car is at fault. This is pure speculation on my part, but I've been on the tuning end of these situations far too many times to count.

The problem with your setup is that it is choked by the stock cams and intake manifold. Notice how your torque curve drops quickly once you pass 6K RPMs. That is happening because you have reached the limits of the amount of air your motor can flow. The only way to get more power with your current setup is to either increase boost so that more molecules are packed into the same volume of air or to increase timing advance so that the bottom end more efficiently turns each pound of air fuel mix into power. Both of those tricks require the use of race gas to perform safely and effectively at this point.

would you recomend getting it tuned then getting cams and intake, or getting intake cams then getting it tuned

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
BAMAXXX said:
would you recomend getting it tuned then getting cams and intake, or getting intake cams then getting it tuned
ANy of the above. It's your money, schedule and goals for the car that matter. Discuss it with your tuner and develop a plan that works best for the both of you.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
had a couple more q's

RickyB said:

i did hear that tdo6 could go to 400+ but i was acctually more concerned with the fact that other people were doing less invasive mods and were actually resulting in higher horsepower trends, thats what i was trying to figure out

bryan- I was wondering could I do an autotune tune on the off boost portion of it, or would that give me alot of problem? Given that I buy a wideband to do it with.

also pass 300hp would i need a new clutch?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.