MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember who owns this car at the Burien meet last weekend but I'm pretty sure I talked to you for a little while...

I had question for you about your car... I meant to ask at the meet but didn't get a chance... What kind of exhaust do you have? Just curious because I really liked it. Thanks and sweet car!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
*edit*
Wait, got the pic to load, its Ryan Martin's.
I think thats his board name also.
He is on the list.

Its a stock(engine) SC, with a custom made intercooler and quaife. He has Eibach springs and some struts...I think his exhaust is a stock exhaust...or maybe it was the HKS..i forget..its relatively stock though. He is on our local mailing list also.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
hey wombat... i saw your car at starbucks the other day :p

anyways, i'm not sure that was the car with the exhaust you're thinking of, mckenzie... but i do know what you're talking about....

btw, for any who cared.... i swapped spark plugs in my mr2, and at least around town it's running better/faster than ever (and yes, still billowing excess black smoke :) ) it was a little wet out (last night) and i couldn't go much more than 1/4 throttle through a corner without the backend kicking sideways and spinning both tires..... scary

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
haha, yeah, i was at starbucks..had a hot date... :p

i got pulled over when on my way home from the starbucks...the officer claimed i was "burning out around every corner and driving like a madman." the guy was a total jerk. he informed me i didnt know how to drive a car with an aftermarket clutch. by the time he let me drive off (without so much as a warning) i had told him about what type of clutch i had and that my car was cold and thats why im idling at nearly 3000 rpm. he stated that he had a "performance car with a performance clutch" and he "knows how to drive it without revving it that high." After i asked him what kind of car and clutch and asked him for his badge number, he couldnt answer with anything other than "just a performance car with a performance clutch" he gave up and let me go. i hate when cops pick on us just for having something that looks better than what they drive, especially when all i was doing was driving home on the speed limit knowing full well an officer was behind me.

anyways, good to hear "the beast" is running better thomas. ill keep an eye out for it.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
not as annoying as when i got pulled over in the ae92 for going through a yellow light (had just turned yellow) then she claimed my exhaust was too loud..... and gave me a ticket for that

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
lol, that is pretty bad...but i have gotten pulled over for JUST exhaust.
They pulled me over right next to Best Buy, going to Whatcom College, next to the rock wall..i'm sure that helped the reverb for my 102dB rating..

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys actually stop when a cop is behind you? No officer... That was not fast... This is fast! :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
*grumbles* After a rather high speed (100+mph) run down I84 I was pulled over...
Officer just wanted to let me know that my license plate lights were out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
wombat801 said:
lol, that is pretty bad...but i have gotten pulled over for JUST exhaust.
They pulled me over right next to Best Buy, going to Whatcom College, next to the rock wall..i'm sure that helped the reverb for my 102dB rating..

My 600cc bike's exhaust is rated at 106dB ^_^

you can hear it for a good 1/2-3/4 of a mile at 12,000rpm.... ^_^

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, it's my car. I was the tall (50ish guy with the beard) guy who showed Kevin the difference an LSD in an MR2 SC can make, he can fill you in on what that means....

Like Kevin said, everything under the hood, and the exhaust is stock except for the Spearco intercooler and Quaife LSD upgrades. With this set up, it makes 135.9 rwhp and 128.9 rwtq with the A/C on :)

The rest of the car has been pretty well modded...

My philosophy on car mods seems to be opposite from most, the engine is always the last thing I work on. Since I have most everything else done now, it's just about time....

I have a NEVO 175mm crank pulley, a set of KK cams, a ceramic coated header, and a Grunt Box on hand, and new belts, gaskets, seals, and idlers that will be installed at the same time.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ryan - I must be thinking or a different red MK1... There was one that was parked in about the same location as your car that had a cool exhaust system on it... It sounded very nice and was pretty well hidden - no annoying coffee can thing. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of it.

Anyway, you car is pretty sweet. What kind of suspension do you have? Did the LSD make a huge difference? I've been thinking I'd like to install one when I pull my own engine out.

Thanks for the info! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
The cars suspension and running gear:

Suspension Techniques springs and sway bars.
Tokico Illumina struts.
Enkei RPO2 wheels 16x7" with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires 205/45/16

I have had the springs on the car for 5+ years, and the rear end is sitting too low now. I think part of this problem is because the rear end of an SC is heavier than an NA car. I have a full set of coil overs on hand to install when I get around to it.

Aluminum flywheel
Clutch Masters Stage 3 kevlar kit.
Quaife ATB differential
Transaxle fully rebuilt, with upgraded synchros

The Quaife makes an amazing amount of difference, I had a real problem with braking the inner rear tire loose under power, but no more. The LSD action is very smooth, you don't know you have one until you get into a situation where you might have had wheel spin, but now you don't. You do have to be a more careful driver, with the LSD the amount of torque you can apply to the rear wheels is increased, but total traction is not. Driving at the edge is more rewarding, but you had better know what you are doing, because if you exceed the available traction of the rear end, things will start happening very fast. Where you may have just spun the inside tire, now you can get them both spinning, and the rear end WILL step out on you. I did a track day back in October on a wet track, and I was very happy to have the Quaife installed. If you can find one and are willing to pay the price, I believe Quaife is the way to go for a car that sees both street and track driving. I like the fact that a Quaife doesn't need maintenance, and that it doesn't introduce debris into the transaxle's lubricant.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Ryan Martin said:
The cars suspension and running gear:

Suspension Techniques springs and sway bars.
Tokico Illumina struts.
Enkei RPO2 wheels 16x7" with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires 205/45/16

I have had the springs on the car for 5+ years, and the rear end is sitting too low now. I think part of this problem is because the rear end of an SC is heavier than an NA car. I have a full set of coil overs on hand to install when I get around to it.
that's a characteristic of Suspension techniques springs..... my ae92 has always had that problem....

i have used eibachs on my mr2.... new kyb struts up front and (right now, i haven't got to the rear yet) stock ones in the rear..... i also have an ae101 gze and e51 tranny/axle setup in my 87..... the rear doesn't sit lower at all, and if anything still sits a bit higher than the front.....

this is an older picture, but essentially (like i said) my ae92 has the same problem:

it's on ST springs, kyb struts, and tein strut plates

1 - 18 of 18 Posts