MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have exactly what's in the title, but I bought the car like this. I was told it has a transmission from a turbo sw20 MR2. It definitely has a 3vz-fe engine from a es300 Lexus if that matters. The problem I'm having is I believe the CV joints are out, it's making that awful noise and I'm terrified to drive it. No shops will work on it because they don't know what the axle shafts are from and they just say it's too complicated. I'm in Tacoma, wa. Where do you guys get your beauties worked on?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
This information might help in your discussions with shops and mechanics.

Your transmission is almost certainly an e153. You can point out to recalcitrant shops that the same transmission was sold in 2000-vintage Toyota Camry V6 manual trans cars, so it's really not all that exotic.

The axles are very similar (but not quite the same) as axles of other Toyota FWD V6 cars like the Highlander, Lexus RX300, et cetera. so any shop that can deal with axle replacement on those cars should be able to do yours.

Replacement axles are no longer available from Toyota or the conventional aftermarket, but they are available from MR2 specialty shops. Here is one option:
https://primedriven.com/collections/clutches-axle-flywheels/products/e153-cv-axle-shaft

This axle shaft bolts on to either side stub, it is the same for left and right - exact same kind of deal as the Lexus or Highlander. It's a little bit pricey, but I don't know whether you will find much cheaper anywhere. For less money, but more down time and shipping costs, you have the option to send your axles in to these same guys for rebuild. If you're ambitious, for even less money you can buy rebuild kits and do the rebuild yourself.

PS. Make sure to get a proper diagnostic that the issue is in fact with your axles and not with your bearings. The only proper way to diagnose this is pull the axle end from the hub and spin the hub.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can you figure out what transmission the car has? Probably is an E153, but check to be sure.

Any way of contacting whoever built it? That is where I would start, if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts