MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who needs a good beater? (added pics!)

I bought a BMW 540i6 for a daily driver, and my beater is up for sale.

It's a 1992 Honda Prelude Si. It has a 2.3L motor that makes 165hp stock or so. The only mods are DC Headers and AEM CAI. Probably worth 10hp together or so. Car definitely feels like a mid-low 15 second car. Anyway, on to the nitty gritty - it is a beater after all.

Engine runs perfectly. It gets 28mpg mixed in the summer and about 25.x mixed during the winter. Strange because Edmunds.com says a brand new one should get 22mpg mixed. Perhaps the headers and CAI do more for fuel mileage than anything else.... ?...

Transimission shifts perfectly through 4th. Going into 5th grinds just a hair. It's super easy to get in, and never pops out or gives you any trouble. You can just feel a little "zzziff" in the shifter going into 5th. It's been this way for the 3 years I've owned it, and not gotten worse. The car will bang the 1-4 shifts all day long spinning tires with no grinding!

Car has all options except 4WS. The defroster needs a new switch (cheap) and the ABS light is on (bad speed sensor - $50 or so).

A/C works perfectly, heat works perfectly. Car has power EVERYTHING.. p/s, p/b, p/w, p/m, electric sunroof, cruise control.

Car will come with a bad-ass stereo system. It doesn't have the highest quality components, but sounds FANTASTIC. I get TONS of compliments on how clean/clear the bass is and how quality the system sounds. It has:

-Pioneer 6.5" 3-ways in the doors, with factory tweeters in the dash
-Pioneer 6.5" 2-ways in the rear.
-Aiwa CD/CD-R/MP3 playing head unit
-Rockford Fosgate amp, less than one year old. 300+ watts with remote gain control (awesome for adjusting from rap to talk-radio on the fly)
-Sealed box with two JL 10" single coil subwoofers. They will set off just about any car alarm if you want to.

Car also comes with a DEI alarm system with keyless entry.

Everything else on the car is stock.

Like I said, it's a beater, but a reliable one. She just turned 221,000 miles and runs like a clock. She had a complete head job at 140k, and is on her 3rd timing belt. The engine just passed emissions with no problem less than a year ago.

I just put OEM used shocks and springs on her. The car might need rear wheel bearings soon. I will include a set of low mileage known-good wheel bearings with the sale.

I'll also throw in a set of H&R Race springs (1.9/1.6" drop) as well.

Car has NEW tires on the front (less than 1000 miles) and nearly new tires on the rear (less than 10,000 miles).

Blue book on this car in "fair" condition is $2100. Fair means bad body, bad engine, but somewhat salvageable. This car has some dents on the driver's side, a bit of rust on the wheel wells, and a bad seal on the driver door (doesn't leak, latch does lock, but door doesn't shut perfectly flush). However the engine and trans are near perfect (or better than new, it gets better mileage).

I'll be putting it on Craigslist and Autotrader for $2,000.

For MR2OC member, the price is $1,500 FIRM.

Sorry for the long post. I'll try to post pics soon.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a crazy work/weekend. I should have pics Saturday evening. The car is blue with gray/black interior.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I posted it on Craigslist for $2k so I'd have some wiggle room. Like I said, $1500 for MR2 guys.

I still don't have pics because of all the crappy snow we got yesterday. We're supposed to get a little more today. After it's done snowing today I'll run her through the no-touch and take some photos.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bump, someone steal this. Can't beat reliable transportation with full audio system, working A/C and heat, and power everything for $1500. :)

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry man, that involves too much work for a beater. I'd have to find a friend to drive with me (or else, how would i get home?). So 2x the gas to detroit, plus the inconvenience.

I just don't have the time. My new job gives me Sun and Tue off. Maybe if I had a 2 day weekend.

Locals only please. I'm willing to drive an hour from my house (60190) and that's it, unless we make other arrangements.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've gotten a dozen emails from my craigslist ad. Should be sold this week, one way or another. If you're buddy is seriously interested, let me know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts