MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on Wheelspecs and noticed that the O.Z. Superleggera was made by YHI International Limited. Okay? That's a Taiwanese made Italian wheel then, right? Same goes for Sparco's NT-R being made by Crimson in Japan. MB Motoring=A-Tech? Rotas are all made in the Philippines. Even the Rays/Volks think is a little confusing at first.

Why do they try so hard to hide where the wheels are made? They are some great wheels.

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
lots of wheels are made in the same factories ........... I've only found one good piece of info online and that was a taiwanese factory that makes oz, enkei, and another.

mb motorsports is simply rebadging (not even that reall, just diff centercaps) a-techs. mb used to just be mb motoring, now they have like 6 diff "brands" each geared or marketed toward slightly diff customers.

the larger wheel companies with tons of brands are usually a little easier to follow, like rays. Rays is the parent company. They make lots of brands, like volk, gram lights, etc. SSR is the same way, it's just that they don't market their brands as seperately in the U.S. so all their wheels are pretty much referred to simply as SSR. SSR bought out watanabe a few years ago when rs watanabe went bankrupt.

The big respected makers also often make wheels for other companies. I've seen numberous wheels made by SSR. Rays quite obviously currently makes TRD, STI, Nismo, etc. I think RalliArt has a wheel with Rays and Work currently.

On the large companies like Rays, my guess is that the premium lines are made in house, like Volk, and that the lower end (generally cast one piece) wheels (like United Arrows) are farmed out to other wheel plants that get contracts from lots of wheel companies.

I started researching this a little and quite honestly gave up ........ it's a ridiculous web. Fuji heavy industries probably owns them all, lol. ;)

Oh, another good one is RJ Devera's company, ROJA getting the discontinued Rays Gram Light 57F Pro and renaming it, and ROJA is proud of the fact that it's a rays wheel made in japan. When roja started, all the wheels were made in the american racing wheel plant, definitely not the case anymore.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
It has to do with the larger forgeries, with that kind of volume, you need BIG forgeries. Usually found in the east, this includes China.

That is also why a lot of domestic wheels like Forgeline, Kinesis, and others are nutty expensive. Not cause they are better than, say Volk, but because of volume.

T

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
They also make wheels specifically to order which includes man hours and customer relations. They also do test fitting on local vehicles to insure perfect fitment. Their wheels are also free from cosmetic defects that would be considered normal on average wheels.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Yes, ofcourse, I do assume Volk to be above average. What I am saying, handmade, small volume products will be expensive.

T

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Fuji heavy industries probably owns them all, lol. ;)"

FHI=SU BA RU :thumbup

At the very least, some of the workers who make those wheels get to work on a FHI bus, train, or in a Subie!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts