MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the McCulloch 6000K H4 HID conversion in my car, which I really like. I can see way better down the road (especially on dark highways... I don?t even need my high beams!!) than I could with the cheap eBay H4 conversions with Phillips Blue-Vision bulbs. I have the Hella E-Codes on my car to work with my HID?s, which appear to give nice little wannabe cut off line. I haven?t been flashed yet, but I think they may still be bothersome to some. Anyway, I was looking into proper hid kits - rev6 lowrise hid kit, retro hid kit? lastly the Xenarc x6054 hid kit. I figure I could resell my kit for $250 plus shipping and fork over the remainder to get the ~$500 Xenarc kit or $1000+ for the rev 6 low rise kit with HID?s?. the Xenarcs seem more favorable for the $$. From what I understand the Xenarc kit was made by Sylvania & was DOT approved. So I did a few searches & see that a few websites claim to still have them (even though they were discontinued), but they want you to call in to order them.
If any of you guys have experience whit the xenarc kit, can you tell me how the light output is, does the kit have any glare? Does it have a ?proper? cut of line? How difficult is it to wire the kit in, if the kit uses the d2s for reg beams & H3?s for high beams?

Through my searches I came across this MR2 with the Xenarc kit! Anybody know who?s MR2 this is?

http://www.deucecoupe.org/cosmetic.html

·
Registered
680 Posts
yea Ken sold his car. sorry for the pointless post but i cannot afford HID, but i think the rev 6's are dead sexy, low rise plus HID mmmm so sexy

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
gsus said:
If any of you guys have experience whit the xenarc kit, can you tell me how the light output is,
Nice and bright. Excellent visibility. It didn't do a great job illuminating immediately in front of the car for about 10 feet, but the stock foglights do a good job there.

gsus said:
does the kit have any glare? Does it have a ?proper? cut of line?
Not to the driver. I would occasionally get flashed by people, but they would stop once I hit them with the high beams. The cutoff line was not the same as an OEM HID unit, but it did a good job.

gsus said:
How difficult is it to wire the kit in, if the kit uses the d2s for reg beams & H3?s for high beams?
I had to buy an extra relay and get a wiring diagram from the support engineers at Sylvania to wire it up, because the kit wanted switched 12 volts to turn on the lights, and Toyota switches ground to turn on the stock headlights.

It uses the HID's for low beams, and both the HID's and the halogen H-3's for a DOT legal high beam. AFAIK, they were the only DOT legal HID conversions available for the SW20.

gsus said:
If any of you guys have experience whit the xenarc kit, can you tell me how the light output is, does the kit have any glare? Does it have a ?proper? cut of line? How difficult is it to wire the kit in, if the kit uses the d2s for reg beams & H3?s for high beams?

Through my searches I came across this MR2 with the Xenarc kit! Anybody know who?s MR2 this is?

http://www.deucecoupe.org/img/hid2.jpg
It was my car, Deuce Coupe (hence the domain name). I sold it to Jeff Osborn, in Seattle. He is on this board, and should be able to give his impression of the lighting on the car.

Here is the wiring diagram that the engineers at Sylvania sent me:

http://www.soundkwest.com/mr2/temp/HID copy.jpg

Hope that helps,

Ken

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would be happy to give my opinions on this topic =D.

That was Ken's car, now my car. The system is great for a nice, white, bright light ahead of you. As Ken said, it doesn't illuminate directly in front of you very well, as a matter of fact, without the fog lights I would see it as an issue, so make sure you have a good working set of fogs if you decide to make the upgrade.

I haven't been flashed yet, but you can definately tell the difference against walls and the backs of other cars. It's a beautiful tint and have only heard huge compliments. The other bonus is that you can still use your highbeams just in case with these, which is not common for HID headlights.

While I haven't experienced too many HID headilghts, these get about an 8/10 in my book.

Pro's:
Great Bright illumination.
Perfect tint, no yellowish or purplish glare.
Nice effect on the car, really updates it's look when seeing it in a rearview mirrror.

Con's:
Only one, which cost it the 2 points, which is the limited close range visibility, which again, can be cured with good fogs.

I hope this was helpful and if you need anything else, let me know =D.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet! I was almost sure this thread was dead! Thanks for the replies Ken & Jeffrey. I'm definately going to look into the Xenarc kit. If I come up with any more questions with the kit, I'll post here & hopefully you guys can throw in you thoughts. Oh and Ken, thanks for the wiring diagram, but it appears to be for 9006 applications... how much more complicated is it with our h4 setup? and how much more difficult to change the ground to a 12v source?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
gsus said:
Oh and Ken, thanks for the wiring diagram, but it appears to be for 9006 applications... how much more complicated is it with our h4 setup? and how much more difficult to change the ground to a 12v source?
You're welcome.

It doesn't matter what BULBS are being powered by the ballasts. That wouldn't change the electrical circuit needed to power the ballasts.

I followed that diagram exactly when installing the X6054 kit on the car, and it works exactly like stock.

Ken

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KBlake said:
You're welcome.

It doesn't matter what BULBS are being powered by the ballasts. That wouldn't change the electrical circuit needed to power the ballasts.

I followed that diagram exactly when installing the X6054 kit on the car, and it works exactly like stock.

Ken

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. :thumbup

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm heading out in a rush tonight, I wasn't able to get the picture before I left. If I can I'll do it when I get home, if not, definately tomorrow. You can contact me anytime with questions, but I didn't do the wiring. I can only spek for functionality or take picturse of the current wiring/headlights.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JeffreyO said:
I'm heading out in a rush tonight, I wasn't able to get the picture before I left. If I can I'll do it when I get home, if not, definately tomorrow. You can contact me anytime with questions, but I didn't do the wiring. I can only spek for functionality or take picturse of the current wiring/headlights.
thanks, i was actually going to ask you if you could take a couple of pics of the beam agains a wall. if you could that would be great!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^ i've only seen 2 websites that seem to carry these (one in which you posted), which require you to call in your order. wether they really have them or not is a whole other issue since they've been pulled from the shelves along with any other hid kits(legal or not).

·
Registered
916 Posts
Was anyone able to confirm availability of this kit? I know they are discontinued but someone has to have a pair lying around :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts