MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how eveyrbody i liking their rom tunes? Anybody get the 550 tune yet?

I can't wait for mine!!!!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Got it. Love it. Not for 550s.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I've had mine now for about 2 months

But

All I need to do is hook up the Gforce and put the Ic pipes back together, I'm in no hurry since it's winter. But I'm very excited to try her out.

Btw I have the 550 tune for the Tdo5

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wonder how people in different climates have liked it?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I've got the ROM tune for my CT27....I ran the car for a couple months on the stock ECU with the CT27 before the ROM tune was installed....the ROM tune sort of "uncorks" the turbo is the best way I can think to describe it, improves throttle response and smooths out the power flow - it almost feels the same as how bolting on an exhaust improves the feel of the stock turbo....it actually improved my "cold weather" starts also - well "cold" as in below 10 degrees C. I don't drive the car in the winter so I can't comment on how it behaves in "real" cold, and I didn't have the ROM tune installed until almost the end of October so I can't comment on how it works in summer heat and humidity either.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I orderred a 550cc tune for a td06 20g and a ats fpr. Hope it works out ok. But I have full confidense in these guys! They rock!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I think the rom tune is great substitue for standalone on 550's, but its never gonna give you the BEST tune you can get. Still works and is awesome. I'de rather get a standalone, but for the price you can't beat it.

·
5sfeturbo.com
2,750 Posts
I got the 550cc rom tune for the td06 and should have it running this weekend :).

I've been powder/ceramic coating most of my equipment. It is starting to look like a show motor.

I've installed the following:
1. 160f thermostat,
2. new stainless hose from hell along with fittings(work of art if you ask me)
3. supra fuel pump
4. 540cc injectors
5. aeromotive fpr and stainless lines.
6. new 93+ heater pipes(the ones that go behind the fuel tank) :)
7. new td06 turbo
8. ats external wastegate kit and downpipe
9. zeitronix wideband
10. Intake pipe will be more straight--this was accomplished by threading the heater hoses above the intake pipe.

The wideband will log boost,rpm,egt,and afr. Can't wait to see what the rom tune is doing throught the rpm range.

Just for your info, I'm also running the Greddy intercooler and Greddy Power Extreme exhaust.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
lagos said:
i wonder how this compares to the benefit you get from using a jdm ecu?
All a JDM ecu gets you is a little more RWHP from additional timing advance, but only if you meet it's octane requirements. (minimum 93 octane to see any gains)

The ROM tune gets you:

Optimized A/F and timing curves for your octane and state of modifications.
Raises or eliminates fuel cut.
Raises rev limit.
Run 20% larger injectors than stock.
Eliminates cold weather/low octane map.

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sleeperneon676 said:
I think the rom tune is great substitue for standalone on 550's, but its never gonna give you the BEST tune you can get. Still works and is awesome. I'de rather get a standalone, but for the price you can't beat it.

I'm going from the nemesis 2 to teh ats rom tune. I agree that the standalone is able to tune better. But really it was WAY over my head. So the rom tune will be just perfect!

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
5sfect20b said:
7. new td06 turbo
you bought a new tdo6? i thought i remember you posting that when you noticed excessive play you opted to get it rebuilt? er you bought a new CHRA or something like that? haha, i can't remember exactly

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
KBlake said:
All a JDM ecu gets you is a little more RWHP from additional timing advance, but only if you meet it's octane requirements. (minimum 93 octane to see any gains)

The ROM tune gets you:

Optimized A/F and timing curves for your octane and state of modifications.
Raises or eliminates fuel cut.
Raises rev limit.
Run 20% larger injectors than stock.
Eliminates cold weather/low octane map.

Ken
how much of a power gain do you expect to get on a jdm ecu and bone stock motor?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just got my rom tuned ECU today. I had it tuned for 540's. I'll be installing HKS 264 cams, ajustable cam gears, 3" downpipe, ATS fuel line and fuel pressure regulator. The car already has an Apexi intake, Greddy intercooler, ct20b turbo, HKS valve springs, MBC, and a Greddy PE exaust. Hopefully I'll have it together next week. As soon as I do its off to the ATS dyno to tune.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm waiting on my CT27/550/Rom Tune package. I am so excited to get it all together I can't stand it. (And of course I'm going through MR2 withdrawls) I'm sure I'll give an update when it's all done. -Wade-

1 - 20 of 72 Posts