MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a rebuilt ct26 w/46 compressor and clipped turbine, in with KO DP and TKO exhaust, MBC and intake, When pulling, as soon as turbo starts to boost, i get this fairly loud whistling sound. Is through all gears and when ever boosting over 1psi.

I don't feel any lag or loss of power, Just wondering what might be making this sound, I know turbos whine when boosting but never heard them whistle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
whistled when boost controller was removed. could be the wastegate, but wouldn't i feel loss of power if the waste gate was leaking, especially since it starts to whistle at 1 psi.

also the turbo i a new rebuilt turbo , wastegate looked good before installing

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Youl wouldnt "lose" power with a leaky wastegate, you'd just spool a little slower (still prolly not slower than stock). And most people describe the turbo sound as a "whistling" noise, and a supercharger's sound as a "whining" noise. Just making sure we're thinking about the same thing. But as long as there are no leaks (as in exhaust gas leaking out into the bay, or intake leaks), then I would just say that the noise is a result of all your new parts.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds good, i'll keep an eye on things over the next couple weeks, will post if i find anything.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When I hear a whistling sound I know it's time to tighten down my blow off valve again. Check all of your connections - hopefully it will be a simple fix.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i had a friend ride with me to hear the whistling, and we think its coming from the intake side. its still hard to say where its coming from though. But its not the normal turbo sound, only when boosting above 1 psi, when i started my car up the other day for the first time after the mods. It didn't make the sound. but i had boost problems so i took off the intake side to check the boost lines. It was after i put everything back on and went for my second drive when i heard it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts