MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1988 MR2 Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my temp gauge spike is back and it's likely that water pump was on its last leg last few times I started my '88 up and now decided to fully go.

It gets proper hot around the engine, the return bleeder at the radiator does get fluid into it, but all of the cooling hoses feel like there's just no pressure and the heat never reaches the rad. Jacked up rear-high, still nothing gets to the front and the heat levels drop about 1/4 down the metal lines. When I squeeze the radiator hoses with a bleeder funnel popped onto the radiator - the coolant level in the funnels gushes, so hopefully that means I have no major or maybe any blockages down the lines, so I more than assume that the pump rusted away along with the thermostat (I already replaced) and a new pump will make it happy.

Anything else other than serpentine belt I should go ahead and replace while I'll be knee-deep in coolant?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Did you use an OEM Toyota thermostat when you replaced it? If not, replace that while you have the system drained. I've had nothing but bad luck with anything but OEM stats. Have you replaced the radiator cap? Use OEM Toyota there as well. There's a O-ring between the water pump housing and the block, I like to put a light coat of gray RTV on the new one when it all goes together. It helps hold the O-ring to the block, as helps take up any irregularities in the block gland from corrosion over the years.

When was the last time the timing belt was done? If the current belt is creeping up on 50k, I'd do that while in there. And if you're doing the cam belt, you may as well do cam seals and the front main.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts