MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched on here and found much info about one or two years, i have been told it is the 86. with a c/d of .31 however i am not entirely sure that is true.

I have been building an engine for an AW11 MK1.5 for land speed record which i believe is something around 207??? i have pretty much built the engine, however i need a donor now. also do i need to swap the tranny, right now i am planning on a pwr of about 2.9:1 hopefully i won't run out of gear. I am pretty sure i need an E51 tranny out of a camry

thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
SOrry i cant answer your questions but amk1 winning a land speed record, boy that would make my day. Good luck to you, a great car but was it was never ment to speed across salty flats at 207mph, areodynamically their are alot better choices. buts its a AW11 the coolest car ever so I support you :), just dont die.

·
Registered
484 Posts
that would be hot. i do not have an answer for you but would love to see video of that! aw11 + land speed record = me extremely happy :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Various magazine articles I have read say that a mk1 with the spoiler will have a c/d of .35 (versus .36 without the spoiler).
It is the mk2's that have a c/d of .31.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Dont know what kind of redline you are going to have on your engine, but the E51 tops out at around 160mph at 7500 in fifth gear, I believe. With that in mind, your redline must be reallllly high or you will need a different final gear. Around 9500 rpms should get you to 210mph, but that is of course with a stock size tire.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I think the camry tranny is an e53 or 153 not a 51 and it is supposed to have a better final drive for top speed but I could be wrong about the numbers.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
*DISCLAIMER* All figures are Internet "Facts"

1985-1989 C/D anywhere between 0.320 and 0.350
1995 MR2 C/D 0.340

I assume the early MKII cars were pretty close to the 95 models as far as C/D is concerned.

·
Registered
935 Posts
86AW11 said:
*DISCLAIMER* All figures are Internet "Facts"

1985-1989 C/D anywhere between 0.320 and 0.350
1995 MR2 C/D 0.340

I assume the early MKII cars were pretty close to the 95 models as far as C/D is concerned.

Here is a link to a Car and Driver article from 3/90 which, on the last page compares the c/d of the mk1 and mk2 MR2's.
http://www.texas2s.com/Pictures/Articles/Car&Driver03-90/image_4.html

The whole article and a few other MR2 related articles can be found at this site:
http://www.texas2s.com/MR2Articles/

·
Ontario's first MK1.5,'05
5,126 Posts
these cars get very twitchy at 150... 200+ i don't see anyone surviving that unless the body is totally re-done for top speed runs. Mk2's are way more stable at high speed. Our short wheel base is not good for top speed runs.

Martin

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Martin said:
these cars get very twitchy at 150... 200+ i don't see anyone surviving that unless the body is totally re-done for top speed runs. Mk2's are way more stable at high speed. Our short wheel base is not good for top speed runs.Martin
Wheelie bars.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
If you want a top speed gearbox, get one out of a 4AF-powered Geo Prizm (or better yet - a 4AC Chevy Nova). They should be a dime a dozen in any junkyard. Most of the Prizm trannys had a 3.90 final drive (as opposed to 4.31 in the MR2's) - and some of the earlier ones, and the the Novas, had a 3.54. The install should be a bolt-in, but you will probably have to mod the linkage from the FWD setup.

To get to 200+ MPH at Bonneville in a MkI, even with some serious aero work, you'll need over 400 WHP.

Do a search on "land speed record" on the board. There was a thread a year or so ago about the MkII that currently holds 2 or 3 records, along with a link to the webpage of the guys who did it. They did a 4AG-based setup in the MkII because of the displacement limits on the classes they were after the records in. (Yeah, I know - lousy grammar - using a preposition to end a sentence with.) ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ITA-MR2 said:
If you want a top speed gearbox, get one out of a 4AF-powered Geo Prizm (or better yet - a 4AC Chevy Nova). They should be a dime a dozen in any junkyard. Most of the Prizm trannys had a 3.90 final drive (as opposed to 4.31 in the MR2's) - and some of the earlier ones, and the the Novas, had a 3.54. The install should be a bolt-in, but you will probably have to mod the linkage from the FWD setup.

To get to 200+ MPH at Bonneville in a MkI, even with some serious aero work, you'll need over 400 WHP.

Do a search on "land speed record" on the board. There was a thread a year or so ago about the MkII that currently holds 2 or 3 records, along with a link to the webpage of the guys who did it. They did a 4AG-based setup in the MkII because of the displacement limits on the classes they were after the records in. (Yeah, I know - lousy grammar - using a preposition to end a sentence with.) ;)
well here is what i am looking at

11k redline with fully built bottom end @ about 650whp from a 3s or 1uz want to stick with 3s for weight reasons

has to be yoda tranny for E open you can mix and match makes but not brands

i am fully aware of the problem with aw11's shortened wheelbase however i will be working on the car for aero purposes

Bob Norris holds the MKII record and the 1.6 liter record

I have done alot of research for downforce and lack thereof

meaning

Underchassis diffuser the entire length
canards at xx degrees
Large hood opening between 40-55 degrees
front diffuser
louvers over the front wheel wells so to allow well air to escape when pushing the 150 mph barrier( no need for wheelies at 1xx+) :smile:

haven't figured out how much df the wing produces but it will probably be removed for something with a lil more d/f

·
Registered
935 Posts
86AW11 said:
They state a MKII 0.31 C/D to the MKI 0.36 C/D Seems fairly close to my first numbers.
Close, perhaps. However, when the OP is talking about achieving speeds in excess of 200mph, the difference between a c/d of .32 and .36 can actually mean a fair amount of horsepower needed. I simply wanted him to have best information possible so he can plan accordingly.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
Wangan_X said:
Bob Norris holds the MKII record and the 1.6 liter record
you mean norwood? he ran 1.5L and 1.0L, in an mk2. i dont think anyone ran a 1.6L mk2.

Please pardon my ignorance. I am a shade tree MR2 guy, learning. What does the term C/D mean? Thanks
coefficient (of) drag.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts