MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. I'm curious and figured since I have my guage cluster off, can someone please tell me which wire is the tach signal wire? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GenIIIMrDuece said:
its black i belive... otherwise its the black wire on the ignitor.
I spoke too soon. When I started the car earlier to test the aftermarket tach (Faze Competition EL), I only started it for a few seconds just to make sure the needle moved...and the needle moved but when I started the car the second time tonite, the needle would jump up for about 5 seconds to about 2K rpm then drop back down to 0. I thought maybe I blew something but the same thing happens everytime I start. Any other ideas?

Things to consider:

I have an aftermarket coil and ignition (MSD Blaster Coil and 6A). I'm using using a standalone EMS.

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
There is a tach output terminal on the MSD 6 series units suitable for driving most aftermarket tachometers.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
RickyB said:
There is a tach output terminal on the MSD 6 series units suitable for driving most aftermarket tachometers.

Thanks Ricky. I tried that the other day as instructed in page 2 which was the white wire. On page 7, it states that toyotas and ford probes may need a special adaptor other than the PN8910. The needle didn't move.

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6 series/6series.pdf

·
Registered
833 Posts
I beleive the reason you need the addaptor is toyota uses a 20 volt square wave signal to drive the stock tach and most aftermarket tachs use a 12 volt square wave..
Your after market tach should work fine with the msd output but not the toyota output..
hope this makes sence

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mike brinlee said:
I beleive the reason you need the addaptor is toyota uses a 20 volt square wave signal to drive the stock tach and most aftermarket tachs use a 12 volt square wave..
Your after market tach should work fine with the msd output but not the toyota output..
hope this makes sence
Which explains Flyboy's comments and why the aftermarket tach needle doesn't function properly when I attached it to the black wire behind the gauge cluster...

·
Registered
677 Posts
or oyu can go off the black wire on the ignitor like i said. but yes you need a tach adapter to run an aftermarket ignition....that will still use the stock ignitor...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GenIIIMrDuece said:
or oyu can go off the black wire on the ignitor like i said. but yes you need a tach adapter to run an aftermarket ignition....that will still use the stock ignitor...
we got rid of the stock ignitor when we intalled the Nemesis.....I still don't have the dang thing connected. I tried connecting the aftermarket tach back to the MSD ignition tach output terminal and now the needle doesnt move at all.....

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
How do yo like that tach now that youve been using it for a while? Any comments or problems with it? Do you have any close up pictures of how you mounted it to the dashboard? Thanks very much.

Oh yeah, off topic, but what size tires are in the rear of your car?

ERIK VISSER

1 - 14 of 14 Posts