MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the clutch plate and pressure plate from my blown engine and ones out of my new engine (~28k miles). The pressure plates that i have are only slightly different. The middle hole of the pressure plate is of different diameters. WHy would the same engine and tranny have different hole sizes like that? The one out of my blown mr2 is 2 inches where as the one that came with my new engine is 3 inches. Even the clutch plate is a little different in design. They both say AISIN on them ( or soming like that meaning OEM product?) I would load the pics but thery're too big and car domain won't let me load them. I can get them up if it's essential. I was just thinking of going and getting the exedy just for a little better grip (it's my fun car so it's gonna see a little abuse :thumbup ) I'm gonna go ahead and get a new clutch plate anyway, but i need to know if i should just use one of the pressure plates i have or the exedy.

Thanks
Tony

ps: the back of the old pressure plate seems to have a surface that was resurfaced (looks like my newly resurfaced flywheel), but the new one doesnt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
I've only used a single OEM and one SPEC clutch, myself. Exedy makes very nice clutches from what I've heard (I haven't heard any fitment comments on MR2s yet). I would think that an Exedy pressure plate would be better matched to an Exedy disc but that depends a bit on which disc (how aggressive) you are getting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't try and stick 2 different company peices together. What i really need to know is why i have two different sized pressure plates (the middle hole where the drive shaft passes through to the clutch plate and flywheel). I just want to know what the inner diameter is saposed to be so i know if i which pressure plate to use. If i decide not to go with either one than i'll go with the exedy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
MkRacer220 said:
I have the clutch plate and pressure plate from my blown engine and ones out of my new engine (~28k miles). The pressure plates that i have are only slightly different. The middle hole of the pressure plate is of different diameters. WHy would the same engine and tranny have different hole sizes like that? The one out of my blown mr2 is 2 inches where as the one that came with my new engine is 3 inches. Even the clutch plate is a little different in design. They both say AISIN on them ( or soming like that meaning OEM product?) I would load the pics but thery're too big and car domain won't let me load them. I can get them up if it's essential. I was just thinking of going and getting the exedy just for a little better grip (it's my fun car so it's gonna see a little abuse :thumbup ) I'm gonna go ahead and get a new clutch plate anyway, but i need to know if i should just use one of the pressure plates i have or the exedy.

Thanks
Tony

ps: the back of the old pressure plate seems to have a surface that was resurfaced (looks like my newly resurfaced flywheel), but the new one doesnt.
Not sure how much this will help you but I had to deal with this when I switched the clutch on my 93T. (What year/NA/T do you have?)

I bought a Exedy kit. When I dismantled the original clutch (it was factory original), noticed 2 different things. 1) center hole was different diameter, and 2) the pattern on the pressure plate (those finger like things) were a little different. Dimensions, mounting holes, everything else was the same. I was more concerned about (1) than (2).

Spent time on the phone and eventually got to Exedy/Daikin USA tech support. The guy was nice enough to pull up the actual tech drawings on the kit. He told me that eventhough the diameter and almost all other dimensions are the same, the clutch I had was for a V6 Camry (or some other car). He told me that the perception on the road is that "It is the same and will work for the MR2 T too." His advice, should be ok but legally, he had to advise me not to install it.

If you are really concerned, call up Exedy and try to get tech support. It can be hard to tell exactly which clutch you have. There are small "casting" numbers stamped onto the pressure plate which will help you.

Cheers,
8J2_93T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
8J2_93T said:
Not sure how much this will help you but I had to deal with this when I switched the clutch on my 93T. (What year/NA/T do you have?)

I bought a Exedy kit. When I dismantled the original clutch (it was factory original), noticed 2 different things. 1) center hole was different diameter, and 2) the pattern on the pressure plate (those finger like things) were a little different. Dimensions, mounting holes, everything else was the same. I was more concerned about (1) than (2).

Spent time on the phone and eventually got to Exedy/Daikin USA tech support. The guy was nice enough to pull up the actual tech drawings on the kit. He told me that eventhough the diameter and almost all other dimensions are the same, the clutch I had was for a V6 Camry (or some other car). He told me that the perception on the road is that "It is the same and will work for the MR2 T too." His advice, should be ok but legally, he had to advise me not to install it.

If you are really concerned, call up Exedy and try to get tech support. It can be hard to tell exactly which clutch you have. There are small "casting" numbers stamped onto the pressure plate which will help you.

Cheers,
8J2_93T
I've got a 91na. Your reply helps a lot. I went ahead and just bought the Exedy kit for the MR2 (130 shipped). I'll compare the diameters when the exedy arives next week. The old engine has the smaller diameter pressure plate, so it seems the old one may be the right size. I'll look for the casting numbers your talking about. When you called Exedy, did they say your stock was the wrong one? Or the Exedy one was the wrong one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
MkRacer220 said:
I've got a 91na. Your reply helps a lot. I went ahead and just bought the Exedy kit for the MR2 (130 shipped). I'll compare the diameters when the exedy arives next week. The old engine has the smaller diameter pressure plate, so it seems the old one may be the right size. I'll look for the casting numbers your talking about. When you called Exedy, did they say your stock was the wrong one? Or the Exedy one was the wrong one?
The stock was the right one of course. It was the original 10 year old out of the factory. Exedy/Daikin tech support told me that for the 93T, many dealers out there confuse the exact pressure plate/clutch disc combo to use as the main dimensions are the same with the Camry V6 and a bunch of other cars. They just substitute things as the dimensions are the same and it fits right up.

Perhaps it will be easier with the NA. Different clutch. But who knows what the interchangeability will be with other Toyota!

Cheers,
8J2_93T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8J2_93T said:
The stock was the right one of course. It was the original 10 year old out of the factory. Exedy/Daikin tech support told me that for the 93T, many dealers out there confuse the exact pressure plate/clutch disc combo to use as the main dimensions are the same with the Camry V6 and a bunch of other cars. They just substitute things as the dimensions are the same and it fits right up.

Perhaps it will be easier with the NA. Different clutch. But who knows what the interchangeability will be with other Toyota!

Cheers,
8J2_93T
I tried calling the dealer to find out about the different sizes, but they guy was clueless as to what i was talking about. May be if i take them up there, they could figure it out.

I guess i'll just sell them on ebay or something or keep them just in case (Mechanic's syndrome). :smile:
Yeah, i know different toyota's that i can take parts from my car and give to them.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top