MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of now i have a 91 NA, but will soon be doing a JDM 3sgte swap. While doing the swap for a gen2 i will either put on a ct20b or install some HKS cams. My question is which would help me more as in power gains and which would be a more wise investment?

thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
get the cams, because the jdm engine already has a ct20

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i'll be getting a gen2 which comes with the ceramic ct26

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
mister2kev said:
get the cams, because the jdm engine already has a ct20
The genII has the CT26 and genIII has the CT20b....go for the CT20b first, since you'll get more power initially. The genII stock cams will be able to handle the CT20B easily....

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
i'd have to say ct20b also. :)

·
Registered
20,020 Posts
trdmr2156 said:
As of now i have a 91 NA, but will soon be doing a JDM 3sgte swap. While doing the swap for a gen2 i will either put on a ct20b or install some HKS cams. My question is which would help me more as in power gains and which would be a more wise investment?

thanks
i'd personally get cams and cam gears degreed -- then later you can install a TD06 or SB kit and be SCREAMING!

the cam's won't do much with a ct26 but the results and $$$ savings down the road with a better turbo upgrade will be more beneficial

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
NoSirItsAToyota said:
Definitely get the 20b. The ct26 is very weak. Then add cams and the ct26 will be even more weak, right?
I heard that the CT20 turbos were the ones that had a problem for snapping the shaft at the turbine end etc, ive never heard of a CT26 being weak. Unless you mean power output wise. In which case ill shut up.

Id still go for the CT20 tho haha

:)

Graeme

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
^Trickster^ said:
I heard that the CT20 turbos were the ones that had a problem for snapping the shaft at the turbine end etc, ive never heard of a CT26 being weak. Unless you mean power output wise. In which case ill shut up.

Graeme
i believe nosir was using "weak" as a replacement for "no fun"..

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
cams will help top end, exactly where the ct26 sucks, so you'll gain almost nothing. It really depends on your power goals. If you want 350whp or more you might as well save for cams and a new turbo. If you're happy with mid 200's whp the CT20b is perfect.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would personally go with the CT20b if you are going to lightly mod you car. Otherwise I would go with the cams and save up for a turbo that will more accurately meet your overall power goals.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
^Trickster^ said:

Graeme
Yeah I was referring to the power output. I know that the ct26 has a stronger and thicker shaft. :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well at some point i plan on putting on a TDO6 turbo kit, but that may be a ways down the road due to money, but i'd like to have that power all the way to redline which the ct20b supposively would give me. i'd like to make my power goals at about 350-400 whp. i'd love to have the cams to get ready for the turbo kit, but with the time it would take to get the turbo kit, i think i'd rather have the ct20b in the times being.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
CT20B if you don't plan on a larger turbo within a year.

If you plan on a larger turbo then I would do cams.

·
Registered
20,020 Posts
Critchie said:
ct20 definatly over cams. then get cams next year :)
cams + install with engine in car + degreeing with engine in the car = more than you'll want to spend ($2,000+) if done PRIOR to engine install cost will be in the $800-900 neighborhood....... a GReddy TD06 is $1500 shipped and w/cams and tuning the 350whp goal will be alot easier ;)

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
If he had to choose between cams or a ct20b I would choose the ct20B. If you want to get nitty gritty you need to figure out your ultimate goals and devise a plan to get you where you want to go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts