MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I really need your expert opinion here. I would like to upgrade my turbo, I'm looking for around 350-400rwhp, low to mid boost 24psi max, and fastest response.
Which variation of the Garrett GT series should i look at and what size?

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
694 Posts
GT30R

a GT3071R would spool a little faster but it has an internal gate which I do not think is a good thing at those h.p. levels. You could weld it shut and go external though. For 200 rpms, I would just get the GT30R.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
g_man1968 said:
GT30R

a GT3071R would spool a little faster but it has an internal gate which I do not think is a good thing at those h.p. levels. You could weld it shut and go external though. For 200 rpms, I would just get the GT30R.
All Garrett Part numbers are 4 digits.

I have a GT3076R, there is no such thing as a GT30R. GT30R is just a commonly used name for a series of Garrett Turbo's.

The GT30 refers to the frame size of the turbine wheel inducer.
The 76 refers to the exducer diameter of the compressor wheel.
The R refers to it being a ball-bearing turbo.

See the links in the 2nd post in the Big Turbo Sticky at the top of the forum.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=75

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Pete said:
Hi guys, I really need your expert opinion here. I would like to upgrade my turbo, I'm looking for around 350-400rwhp, low to mid boost 24psi max, and fastest response.
Which variation of the Garrett GT series should i look at and what size?

Thanks,
Pete
Pete, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place with this goal. Assuming race gas, race tune, and the mods to allow and support that kind of airflow, you have these posibilities...and they all sacrifice some low end power and response.

The GT2860RS .64 AR will give you quick spool, fast response, and "maybe" 350+ whp according to some including RickyB...but that would likely require the .86 AR turbine housing which trades away some low end for the top end. Not sure how much boost would be required.

The GT3071R probably has the best looking compressor map for your needs but it's turbine holds it back with restricted top end flow and low turbine efficiency that's needed for quick spool and response. It'll need a bunch of boost to have the flow required to make your top end power goals.

The GT3076R has a compressor map that wants to start flowing maybe 500rpm later than the first two maps, but it's high efficiency turbine will really hustle around 4000 rpm and right out to redline. This would be my choice for a solid 350-400 whp with as little boost as is likely possible with any turbo on the market, and as good a bottom end as you can expect for a turbo capable of the top end you want.

Bruce

·
Registered
694 Posts
MISTER2 said:

I have a GT3076R, there is no such thing as a GT30R. GT30R is just a commonly used name for a series of Garrett Turbo's.

The GT30 refers to the frame size of the turbine wheel inducer.
The 76 refers to the exducer diameter of the compressor wheel.
The R refers to it being a ball-bearing turbo.

See the links in the 2nd post in the Big Turbo Sticky at the top of the forum.
GT30R = GT3076R. They changed the name but not the turbo. Just like the GT28RS is now the GT2860RS

·
Registered
227 Posts
GT30/40 would be my choice,i have similar goals and that the unit i chose,that way you dont have to run everything flat out,reducing wear like you would a GT28.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I think a TD06 would also do pretty well in your criteria? Unless you absolutely have to have a GT turbo. If you do, then I'd either go for the smaller GT30(71?76?)R turbo, or a GT2871R? Still not conpletely familiar with all the garret turbos.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
elmo owen said:
GT30/40 would be my choice,i have similar goals and that the unit i chose,that way you dont have to run everything flat out,reducing wear like you would a GT28.

he is looking for max 400 whp ...
a gt30/40 should easely flow well over 500 hp ;) , little bit over done dont you think ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help guys, It looks at though ill be looking at around the GT3076R level. I don't mind sacrificing a little bit of low end performance to gain some top end. I just don't want the thing spooling at like 5000rpm.

The reason i want to go the GT series is that i have already been given everything to hook one up.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
MISTER2 said:

I have a GT35R from full-race, that i bought from a member here on the board. GT35R, does it need 4 digits? There are some that are 4 digits, and some just two.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
garrett renamed everything so the gt35r will now have 2 other numbers in there to tell you the size of the compressor blades.

Just like the GT2540r is now called a GT2876r Because of the GT28 exhaust housing and the 76mm intake compressor diameter and r meanin its ball bearing. The S in the names means its a high flow version, so the GT2860r (GT28r) and the GT2860rs (gt28rs) are actually the same turbo interms of compressor and blade diameters just one is a high flow version.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts