MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the choice of choosing between a Gen II gearbox with a TRD-LSD or a GEN III LSD standard gearbox.

Which is the better buy considering they've both been offered to me at the same price.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both will bolt straight up correct?

I've got a GEN II SW20 turbo.

Any drive shaft issues I should be aware of?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
they both bolt on.

but for the trd gen2 tranny you wont need lsd axles to use the lsd.
with the gen3 gearbox you must have lsd axles !

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
If you plan on doing lots of autoX or road racing Id go with the one with the LSD (better corner exiting).

If you're more of the cruising / drag racing type Id go with the genIII (better shifting).

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
What year is the Gen2 tranny? Because it's not the generations that have the better sncros it's the years. The '93+ trannies received the dual syncro design and I think what they did was just added another synchronizer ring to each gear except reverse(obviously). The extra syncros allows the first syncro to slip a bit and bring the second syncro up to speed, which in return also allows the hardened gear to come up to speed, whereas, the single synchro design is just the single syncro slipping against a hardened gear to allow for the meshing of gears. This is why you see an accelerated wear rate of syncros on the pre '93 tranny's. Atleast, this is what I have interpreted of the two designs but I could be wrong.

So basically I would say if the GEN2 is a '93+ year then iw ould go for it as it has the better aftermarket LSD but if it's a '91 or '92 I would opt for the 3rd gen tranny due to the dual syncro design.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Po' Kid said:
If you plan on doing lots of autoX or road racing Id go with the one with the LSD (better corner exiting).

If you're more of the cruising / drag racing type Id go with the genIII (better shifting).
They both have LSD just the Gen2 has the aftermarket TRD LSD.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well since my car has as standard no lsd, I guess the GEN II TRD LSD box is the better option since I don't have to change my axles?

Are axles a major inconveinience to change over and whats the usual going price for standard lsd axles?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You may want to research what "type" of LSD the TRD is, because as Po'kid indicated, different types will perform distinctly different. You have stock LSD ('93+), TRD LSD, Quaife LSD, and Kaaz LSD that are used on an MR2...and each might be better chosen if you knew how they performed. What's perfect for one application could be poor for another. There have been good threads about this in the past so try a "search" for the nitty gritty.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Sambuca said:
Are axles a major inconveinience to change over and whats the usual going price for standard lsd axles?
Axles are
  • easy to change if you're changing transmissions anyway
  • Expensive ($300+ for stubs or ~$550 for full axles)

Ask yourself, "why do I want limited-slip, and would a clutch-type (TRD) be better for my driving conditions/style than a viscous coupling?"
Then go look up the differences. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my car is a daily driver, so it sees your basic road conditions. Its not raced, auto-x'd or dragged at all.

·
Ontario's first MK1.5,'05
5,126 Posts
i'd go with the gen3 tranny. The better synchros is a very nice thing to have plus you get the reliable oem lsd.

Martin

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Sambuca said:
Well, my car is a daily driver, so it sees your basic road conditions. Its not raced, auto-x'd or dragged at all.
With that in mind then you have no need for the aftermarket LSD. I would say go with the Gen3.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
qwik_MR2_5sfte said:
They both have LSD just the Gen2 has the aftermarket TRD LSD.
Oh... hah! I didnt even see that. In that case Id definately go with the GenIII if you can get the half shafts / axles with it. Otherwise, if you are wanting something that can be easily bolted on without alot of aprts searching, the early trans would probably be easier. If you will have to buy the LSd axles separately then you might consider the early one.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
m1st3r2 said:
Axles are
  • easy to change if you're changing transmissions anyway
  • Expensive ($300+ for stubs or ~$550 for full axles)

Ask yourself, "why do I want limited-slip, and would a clutch-type (TRD) be better for my driving conditions/style than a viscous coupling?"
Then go look up the differences. :)
I'd go with the toyota lsd tranny.
Better syncros, and the vicous LSD will work great (isn't it similiar in design as the AWD coupling that the lambo's use? I heard that somewhere I think).

Also the stubs are not THAT expensive, I was lucky enough to find the drivers for $124 and the passengers for $240'ish. Anyways you only absolutely NEED the drivers IIRC. I bought both because I again got super lucky and sourced a NEW toyota LSD for $1472 through a dealership even... Not sure if someone made a mistake on it but I plopped down my cash instantly before anyone could change thier minds... :)

I also know a person that was putting down 400+ on the OEM LSD with no issues, so personally I am not sure what the advantages of shelling out an extra grand on an aftermarket LSD would gain you unless you were doing some HARD CORE dragging.... ?????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts