MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious, hypothetically if we could just throw any turbo 4 into the backs of our MR2's which company makes the best turbo4? the 3sgte,4g63,ej20 and sr20det are all 2.0 turbo 4cylinders, all of them bred for rally racing, well Im not sure about the sr20, but all of them seem to have the ability to create lots of hp, and have attained 200,000+ on the odometer when maintained well. Which brand makes the best turbo 4 over all? i hear subaru's are hard to work on, like you have to dynotune everytime you put a part on, 7bolt 4g63's crankwalk, dont know any draw backs to the 3sgte or sr20det but maybe cuz I just dont know much about these engines, I grew up on 4g63's. discuss.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
This topic has been debated a bazillion times.

Each motor has its small ups and downs. I would prefer to stick with the 3sgte mainly since its a non-interference engine. A 4g63 would be ok, but I think I'd rather leave it in my Talon. :D

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
2.1 by the looks of it

"Type: Turbocharged Inline-4
Displacement: 2100 cc
Horsepower: 650 bhp @ ---- rpm
0-60 mph: 3.0 sec
0-100 mph: 6.9 sec
Quarter Mile: 10.9 sec @ --- mph
Skidpad: .--g
Top Speed: 110-206 mph (depending on gearing) "

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Those performance specs have a reminiscent ring - oh yeah . . . Bill's dyno plot on the ToyStar. ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't think the 4g63 is very reliable, i used to own a non turbo and wanted a turbo engine so bad. Something about "crankwalk" but i don't think it happens that often. Just was never a fan of USDM mitsubishi.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The 4g63 is a rev happy, tough motor that you can make a lot of power with even on stock internals. It comes from the factory with coated pistons. The bad side is the crankwalking issue for the 95-99 motors. The only engine management you need to run a huge turbo and make big power is an SAFCII. Although you rarely hear of these motors lasting much more than 100k miles unless they are unmodified and not driven hard.

The 3sgte isn't quite as rev happy as a 4g63, due to its internals being a little beefier. Also a motor than can make big numbers on stock internals, although the pistons are not coated (to my knowledge) and become a weak point in the upgrade process further down the line. A number of modified 3sgtes have made it to the 200k mile marker. Stock engine management is not very good, an EMS is almost necessity beyond about 300rwhp.

The SR20DET I do not have any personal experience with, but I know a couple of guys that drive 240s that have this motor. It seems to also be a motor that loves to rev. It is known for water pump cavitation at high rpms, causing problems such as overheating. Again a stout motor on stock internals, but the aluminum block would become a problem at higher power levels. Popular motor for swapping into both the 240sx and datsun 510.

The EJ20, I'm not getting much into this one because I really don't know much about it. The transmission it is connected to seems to be the major weak point. I haven't heard of a whole lot of people making a lot of power on these motors, but maybe that is because it is a newer motor that hasn't been tweaked as often as the motors that have been around for a while. The boxer design is great for center of gravity. They look to be a wicked pain to work on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
an FJ20 is hands down the greatest most beefy 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo engine ever created. They were designed for turbo f1 and can take up to 35psi on stock internals. Now however they are incredibly hard to find and production was ceased due to the fact that shortly after this engines release turbocharging was banned in f1. So instead of Nissan scrapping the entire engine they made it 2.0 liters and released it in cars for a limited time. The engine was far to expensive to make and they then designed the ca18det off of this engine for a more economical engine. Though out of those 3 enigines listed I love the 3sgte and dont think any of those other engines hold a flame to it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
well Its heavier than my MR2, and pulls alot harder. Reliability is bar none. If your asking 0-60 number I couldnt tell you. The cars only been on the butt dyno. Im waiting for a dyno day down here to set it up! Hydraulic Lifters, timing chain, oil squirters, sodium filled valves + garett T-25 always puts a smile on my face not to mention the 7800rpm redline.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
well Its heavier than my MR2, and pulls alot harder. Reliability is bar none. If your asking 0-60 number I couldnt tell you. The cars only been on the butt dyno. Im waiting for a dyno day down here to set it up! Hydraulic Lifters, timing chain, oil squirters, sodium filled valves + garett T-25 always puts a smile on my face not to mention the 7800rpm redline.
Sounds pretty sweet.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
SR20DET, my G20 is quick as hell and its stock boost 6.5 psi
What G20 do you have, I have a 99 but it is non turbo. Did they make a turbo version outside of the states or is it a kit...I'm really interested!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts