MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
So here is my take...I have a gen 2, a gen 3, and a gen 4. I love all of them! (They are all modded) And I will hopefully be doing a 2GR swap soon. To get the gen 2 up to par... you really need to upgrade the turbo! (And supporting mods) The CT26 really holds it back! (its basically a HOT air machine after 15 psi!) Upgrading to a CT20b or ct27 really changes the way the engine response! All that cooler air helps a ton. A gen 2 and gen 3 with a ct20b and no cats has a sight amount of turbo lag. nothing crazy. I personally love it. And have great higher rpm pull! My gen 4 has almost no turbo lag (which is great on the streets) But it falls a bit short in the higher rpm range with the stock ct15b. (ATS has the sweet 16 turbo that takes care of that). But its still a blast to drive! My buddy has a 2gr swap in his 2 (which I drive all the time) And I must say...it is awesome! Instant torque and responsiveness. So much easier to drive fast. But it does fall a bit short at higher rpms. But even with the 2gr not pulling as hard up top...Its still a blast to drive. I honestly think the perfect MR2 engine would be a forced inducted 2GR (supercharger or blower). But now we are talking bigger money.

Registered
Or even better on a 3S-GTE turbo upgrade is to adapt a T4 flange to the stock manifold and toss on an EFR 6758 (400-425 rwhp) or EFR 7163 (450-500 rwhp). All you need is a new downpipe and to make lines after that with an off the shelf wastegate bracket Full-Race makes. I detail the journey in my build thread here.

CT20B was an ok turbo back 25 years ago, but things have moved on in turbo tech. My EFR 6758 feels just as powerful as my TD06 (or moreso), but spools about 1k RPM sooner and much quicker in transient situations.

That said, I'd still toss the TD06 on over a CT20B.. lol (it's for sale!)

If I ever blow up my 3S, I've decided I'll swap in a 2GR and single turbo it with some sort of EFR. Probably the 6758 to start with as an OEM+ type turbo, then an EFR 8374 later to play Russian Roulette with the stock bottom end. I honestly think if you opened up the ring gap on a stock 2GR it'd do 500-550 rwhp really reliably.

Premium Member
Love my 4th gen. Sitting somewhere around 300hp right now. I have the same power goals as you. Just building something fun to take out on the road. I doubt I'll ever hit the track with it. Maybe some head to head but thats about it. I've already upgraded the intercooler and exhaust as bolt ons. will be changing turbo over to a 2871 or similar and upgrading fuel delivery slightly in the next year or two. I'm not looking to do anything special other than bolt ons as well. I am eager to get an aftermarket ECU in there but am currently taking the time to enjoy driving the car.
Will be redoing the head gasket and seals at the end of the season but if she compression tests good before I start taking it apart, the bottom end will stay together.

Only complaint is having to pump high octane into it. You can get similar numbers with a GR V6 and use regular. Plus as I understand the engine is lighter. I'll eventually be migrating this gen4 into my AW and getting a V6 for my SW sometime down the road.

Registered
Don't put a GT2871R on it - that's a 15 year old turbo. Even worse if it's a China knockoff of that design...

Premium Member
When the time comes I will be looking into it more. I must be working from old reference material. Thx for the heads up.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts