MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a Greddy new style catch can, but at where i mounted it, which is the lowest i can get it from what i can see, is having a hard time getting oil in it, instead it will come out the top hole in the engine. please tell me the best place for me to mount it and if you have pictures that would be even better

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
NC Turbo2 said:
...is having a hard time getting oil in it, instead it will come out the top hole in the engine.
Not really sure exactly what yopu mean here, but if you have the vent line connected to a catchcan, but oil is leaking/escaping somewhere between the VC (...top hole on the engine?) and the catchcan, then you have apparently caused some restriction in the vent system.

NOT a good thing!! The crankcase vent must be left unrestricted.

bill

·
Registered
262 Posts
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what "top hole in the engine"??? There is the PCV line coming off the valve cover. Is that what he is referring to? If so, isn't that the exact reason for the catch can??

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
I assume the "hole on top of the engine" is where the crnakcase vent pipe attaches to the valve cover. Then there is a hose and another hard fitting that connects it to the inlet pipe ahead of the turbo. The whole vent system should allow blwby gasses from the crankcase to pass unrestricted into the intake air stream and carried along with the intake charge to the engine where thye are combusted. It purpose is to prevent positive pressure from building in the crankcase.

The only problem with all of that on the turbo engine, the oil vapors condense out in the IC, and lower its thermal transfer capability. So the purpose of the catchcan is to prevent the oil vapor from contaminating the IC.

If any oil or gasses are being forced out of the "plumbing" between the VC and the inlet pipe, then there is obviously pressure in the crankcase/vent. This will blow the engine shaft seals.

bill

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here are some pictures, the first is the oil found on my valve cover after just cleaning it

the rest of where i currently have the catch can, dirrectly above the tranny mount

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
There appears to be 3 obvious kinks in your hoses. one just before it attaches to the can inlet, another about 4-6 inches after it leaves the can, and one more hwere it passes over the heater hose.

If any one of those are actually kinks, then your vent is restricted. As I said, NOT a good thing.

bill

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how could i get rid of the kinks? what alternatives do i have to impove this, because of the 90 degree elbows on the can it kinda messes things up

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
NC Turbo2 said:
how could i get rid of the kinks? what alternatives do i have to impove this, because of the 90 degree elbows on the can it kinda messes things up
You need to change the fittings to eliminate the 90 deg fittings, and/or re-route, using longer, more rigid hose. I'm sure that is the cause of oil discharging before it reaches the catchcan, and really poses a significant risk to your crank and cam seals.

Untill you can properly install your catchcan, I encourage you to either return the system OEM condition, or even simply disconnect the hose to the carchcan, and let it discharge to atmosphere.

Other owners have blown seals after only a few minutes with a PCV restriction.

bill

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:( this would explaine that weird oil leak i have recently gotten, it looks like it spills onto the exhaust, blueish white smoke will come out of the exhaust, and i know it's not my turbo seals or head gasket, head gasket checked out ok, and the turbo is only a week old. the leak itself is about 4 inches towards the engine from the rear main seal, on the exhaust side... do you know what gasket/seal that would be?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts