MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I need your help. I have an autometer electrical oil pressure gauge. Where in the block do I tap the oil gauge pressure line? Also, what adapter fitting do I need to buy.

If any of you have pictures, or any type of visuals, that'll be great.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
MitchR2 said:
If any of you have pictures, or any type of visuals, that'll be great.
Not the best picture, but it might help:

If you look inbetween the fuse box and the coolant filler cap on the drivers side of the engine bay, you can see the autometer sender just like yours. Then you can see a SS braided line following it back to the head. If you look at the head (on YOUR car) just belwo the vavle cover there is a little round bolt looking thing with one wire in the middle. That is the stock sender.

Don't let people tell you to just simply tap into this spot, it is BSPT threaded and you have to use an adaptor, and that adaptor cannot hold the weight of the sender hanging off of it. It WILL break off in the head and then you have a nightmare. Do it right and remote mount it by the shock tower or somewhere else. Even a rubber hose is fine as long as its sealed. If you search the board there are a ton more pics!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys.

Is the stock sender hard to reach? If I tap into the stock sender section, do I lose the dash panel oil indicator light?

Also, what does BSPT Threaded mean? Does that mean it's fine threaded?

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
mitch311 said:
Is the stock sender hard to reach?
No.

mitch311 said:
If I tap into the stock sender section, do I lose the dash panel oil indicator light?

Also, what does BSPT Threaded mean? Does that mean it's fine threaded?
Yes, unless you use a "T" fitting as I showed in my picture (I'm sorry its hard to see here is a better picture of it removed:)

BSPT = British Standard Pipe Thread Tapered. Its 1/8".

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
BTW I can build you one of those relocation assemblys. I've built them in the past, they are about $75 and are plug and play, and allow you to retain both the factory sensor and your new autometer sensor.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Justin. Actually, I just purchased the stainless steel line already and only need to find the proper fittings. Thanks for the offer though.

Do you know of any other places to tap the autometer sender it into?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts