MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Import would be expensive ... since we aren't at the sea you have to deliver the car across whole europe. There is another bad thing, the european union and specially Austria don't wanna get in a lot foreign cars so there are ridiculous taxes on them. It's easier if you import a car that has been at least for 7 years registered in the european union. For completely foreign car's you have to pay the NOVA taxes according to it's consumption. The NOVA tax depends mostly on the carbon monixide output, so older cars and cars with big engines are more expensive to import. Also you have to pay VAT (value added tax) on the whole price including the NOVA taxes. This will be 19% over all. So cars that get imported will be double taxed before you even have them at home. Then you have to make the car safe to our according traffic regulations wich will also cost some money. And if everything is done you have to show your car to the official testing center and they are making it clear for the license (of course this also has to be paid).

For some example a buddy of mine wanted to import a Lexus GS300. Car's around here which are hard to find cost you approx. 25.000$. He thought it would be much cheaper to import it and asked for prices in germany, there you can get them for under 15k $. After all only the taxes to import the car would have been 11.000$ so it didn't make any sense to import a car. Goverment is stupid did i told that before :D

Guess it wouldn't make any sense if you try to import any car over here. This is done with cars that you really can't get over here and if you are willing to pay a lot of cash for what you wanna. For example TT Supra's MK4, there were only 6 officially sold in Austria, for a clean ony LHD stock you will have to pay >50k $ here. Even imported RHD one's which will be <5k$ in Japan are sold for almost 20k$ over here ... F&F ftw ;)

MK1's are going to be pricy over here. There aren't really any cheap one's you can get. So over here they are almost collectable i guess. Driveable one's in good condition (far away from being perfect) cost ~6k$ over here. And these ~10 pieces that are known to be in good condition are in good hands and will not be sold i guess.
With the AE86 it took the same way over here a few years ago. There are no one's on the market and the only one that can be bought currently is that one ;)

http://www.autoscout24.at/Details.aspx?id=233201357&asrc=st|sr

So i guess this will be the direction where the prices for mint W1 will tend to be in the near future (in central europe honestly).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Not to start an argument, lol, but I think some of you understimate the value of a decent condition, semi-low mileage, stock (or at least near stock) MKI, especially an SC. There have already been a few examples of 5 digit NA and SC MKI's over the last few years or so, which have been posted and talked about on this forum. Unfortunately though there have been so few in this condition, and so far apart that people seem to quickly forget about them.

The top one was probably the white, low mileage Canadian SC (I believe) that got imported to the Netherlands for the equivalent of about $21k (US), before import/export costs. There have definitely been a few others that have gone, or at least have reportedly gone in the $10-15k range on ebay.

Unfortunately, so few of our cars have made it this far without someone doing either extensive modifications, or putting a whole lot of miles on them. No matter how nice the car looks just one or two of the wrong mods can really bring the price down. The really good ones are getting rather few and far apart, and I haven't seen one come up for discussion on here in quite some time. As for the 2000GT, despite what was mentioned earlier, good examples of that are extremely collectible, and very costly. I believe a rather nice/expensive one was discussed on this forum about a year ago or so.

Very low mileage Super Editions go for an arm and a leg in Asia. But the best place to sell a half decent regular MKI NA/SC is in Australia. A decent one there can definitely get you to the 5 digit range. A semi-low mileage, near stock NA or SC would clear that limit downunder without even trying.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fab4MR2 said:
Not to start an argument, lol, but I think some of you understimate the value of a decent condition, semi-low mileage, stock (or at least near stock) MKI, especially an SC. There have already been a few examples of 5 digit NA and SC MKI's over the last few years or so, which have been posted and talked about on this forum. Unfortunately though there have been so few in this condition, and so far apart that people seem to quickly forget about them.

The top one was probably the white, low mileage Canadian SC (I believe) that got imported to the Netherlands for the equivalent of about $21k (US), before import/export costs. There have definitely been a few others that have gone, or at least have reportedly gone in the $10-15k range on ebay.

Unfortunately, so few of our cars have made it this far without someone doing either extensive modifications, or putting a whole lot of miles on them. No matter how nice the car looks just one or two of the wrong mods can really bring the price down. The really good ones are getting rather few and far apart, and I haven't seen one come up for discussion on here in quite some time. As for the 2000GT, despite what was mentioned earlier, good examples of that are extremely collectible, and very costly. I believe a rather nice/expensive one was discussed on this forum about a year ago or so.

Very low mileage Super Editions go for an arm and a leg in Asia. But the best place to sell a half decent regular MKI NA/SC is in Australia. A decent one there can definitely get you to the 5 digit range. A semi-low mileage, near stock NA or SC would clear that limit downunder without even trying.

I agree most with what Fab4Mr2 has said, and a whole lot more....... :hello1:

I'm a new member here, so I will attempt to tread lightly. However, some of the comment's on prices in this thread are quite laughable at best, especially saying that a MK1 is still not collectable yet, or for that matter a 2000 GT is only mildly collectable.

Let's take a look at some facts. In the car business, especially when dealing with collector car's, value and pricing can be a murky topic at the best of time's. Nonetheless, it's all about rarity and consumer demand for that specific rarity, that determines collector car prices. Rare car's, built in small number's that have some measure of automotive historical signifigance to them, with low original documented mileage, usually bring big money. Always have, always will.

Capiche....?????

Let me now back up what I've written with some factual data.

Let's briefly examine what a Toyota 2000 GT is actually worth. We're talking rare, low mileage, minty low production volume. When determining this, only needs to look at auction prices. There just happens to be a 1968 Toyota GT entered in the upcoming RM Auction in Montery, California this coming August 16-17, 2013.

This particular car has all the hallmarks.

?A matching-numbers, lightly restored example
?One of just 54 originally imported to North America
?Japan?s first entry into the sports car industry

Still think I'm full of BS...?? Look what I found.

Toyota 2000 GT Auction Prices

When I was in college, way back when Moses wore short pants, I remember a Toyota Dealership that had the same car, but a convertible,( just like the car in You Only Live Twice ), on display in their showroom. It was the Dealer Principle's personal car. Way back then, circa 1982, the asking price was $85K for it.

Want to learn more about colector car auction's, and the crazy prices bidder's are paying...???

RM Auction Results from 2013

RM Collector Car Auction Result - August/2013 - Toyota 2000GT

RM Collector Car Auction Monterey, California August15-18/2013 Final Sale Results

But I digress......let's talk MK1.

Over the course of time, any MK1 has now become a rare car, no matter where it's located on any continent. Lower production number's, produced in limited year's, gives a car its rarity. For the record, I have collector car insurance on my '89 AW11SC....... :)

Let's break it down some more. The rarest year's for MK1's, as far as production number's are concerned are 1988 and 1989 model year's. According to MR2 Wiki , 2537 MR2's were imported to North America for 1989, the US receiving 2127 and Canada 410 , the last year of MK1 production.

You can break this down even more. According to MR2 MK1 Superchager Registry , in Canada, 410 were imported in total, of which 106 were 4A-GE's (N/A), and 304 were 4A-GZE's (SC). How many were sold with factory leather and a/c? Fewer still. How many survive today? Sure, there are plenty of turd blossom's out there, but how how many real nice factory original example's are left that have low miles, all original paint and glass, documented car's are available for sale...???

Fist of all, I've seen low mileage (15,000 km) 1985 MK1's sell for $11K. It was a one owner, no accident, original paint/glass, a/c and moon-roof car. This particular car breaks one of the rules. Yes, plenty of '85 MK1's were churned out by the factory, BUT, mileage and condition are everything. Just like in real estate with location, location, location. For the record, IMHO, the '85-'86.5, N/A AW11 represent's the best and purest rendition of the MR2 that Toyota ever sold. They had the lightest weight, and the best handling. It was the MR2 that had not yet hooked up with Charlie Sheen and checked in to Betty Ford.

Now let's discuss AW11SC, 1988-89. These are the rare birds of all the MK1's, regardless of which side of the 49th parallel they might be situated. Some AW11SC's can still be had for cheap money, for now, yet their number's continue to dwindle . Prices from $3-5K are not uncommon, but cheap prices correspond with high mileage, tacky, rust bucket's.

Over the year's, I've seen a few amazing deal's on SC's in which down and out owner's were desperate to sell their beloved ride's. I've also read with skepticism on numerous occasion's in the past, on different MR2 message board's , when new owner's supposedly buy real nice, low mileage SC's for real cheap money....... :bsflag:

I've seen really nice , low mile/km, one-owner SC's with leather and a/c sell for $20K. It's the kind of collectable that will only continue to climb over time. How much is anybody's guess, but over the next 20-25 years, low 6-figure's is not being unrealistic. Look at what guy's are spending on Land Cruiser's with diesel engine's. Have you priced out a used clunky, rusted out Hilux double cab diesel 4x4 lately ? It's no different.

Bottom line is this. If you want to buy that really rare, ubber minty, low mile/km, bella donna, peach, with matching number's...... it's going to cost you home slice. Be prepared to bust out and peel that onion..... :goodluck:

Regards,

Minty AW11SC

:canada:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Although I cant agree more than the value will remain relatively high for a clean example, I think that the price will remain stagnant. The mk1 mr2 will not ever rise to the levels of the 2000gt, but I think a prime example could easily be sold to the right person for 12-15k. Anymore than that is really pushing it, but there are exceptions. It's always a waiting game, just waiting for the right buyer to string along.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm sure I've written this before in a similar thread here somewhere; but I hope these never become particularly collectible. No good comes of it.

Keep them to the true enthusiasts; who love them, drive them, and restore them for what they are; not for any sort of collect-ability or value.
As for the car I already have; why would I care how much it is or isn't worth, when I have no intention of ever selling it? 50cents or 50grand.. it makes no difference.

I'd rather it be worth nothing.. unpretentious, and free from fear of theft..

·
http://www.mr2miach.com
2,385 Posts
RdS: said:
I'm sure I've written this before in a similar thread here somewhere; but I hope these never become particularly collectible. No good comes of it.

Keep them to the true enthusiasts; who love them, drive them, and restore them for what they are; not for any sort of collect-ability or value.
As for the car I already have; why would I care how much it is or isn't worth, when I have no intention of ever selling it? 50cents or 50grand.. it makes no difference.

I'd rather it be worth nothing.. unpretentious, and free from fear of theft..
Could not agree more! I just want my car to have enough value that others do not door ding it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I enjoy seeing all these older comments regarding MR2 prices. I've always said that opinion's are like assholes, everybody has one, and there's definitely never a shortage of them when it comes to cars and MR2's.

Will all the so called MR2 experts, the pundit's that have egg on there faces on this thread, please stand up and be counted...... ?:D

Minty AW11SC

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Hey Minty, glad to see an older face on here still.

I'll be the first to admit I was a little off with my comment, but not by far.

Out of 82 ended auctions on BaT since 2017 for the MK1 MR2, 37 have sold under 10k and 38 have sold 10-20k. Few go above this number.

Still far from the numbers of more popular similar year cars like the MK3 Camaro with over 130 sales, most above the 20k mark and many 30k+.

Or the MK3 Supra, 97 sold listings, most 30k or more.

The MK1 MR2 is more collectible than it was, but they'll never have that large cult following, or price tags, like the other guys.

Water Rectangle Font Circle Pattern

Product Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

Rectangle Font Line Slope Parallel

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
The little MR2 will never be a "High end" collector car, it was always a "cult" car. I hear it all the time, "Wow, an MR2! That's a cool car!" but when I was selling off my collection the pickups went faster and for more. The MR2 was not received well from the git. It was "too small" "Too uncomfortable" "underpowered" "weird" for many people. It came into a worlrd where big interiors and torquey engines ruled. Besides the fact that '80s economy was not that great so little 2 seaters weren't feasable for a family and the people that could afford to have a "toy" car could afford an Italian toy.

Even today our beloved little 2s are seen as cheap little nothings that only low income people would buy. Our little cars just don't stroke egos like a Camaro or Supra does. A 1.6 liter engine isn't exciting in the least. I like to use the "penis size" analogy when people put down the MR2, y'know, You must be compensating for something needing to drive that expensive Corvette, I drive an MR2.

That's ok! More for ME!

All that said above also explains why it's so hard to find good parts for restos. I can find more parts available for Pintos and Vegas than I can for an MR2.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
As enthusiasts I don't mind MR2s remaining cheep. Makes it easier to buy. Imagine if the soared out of control like MK4 Supras, NSXs or even S2000s. I left the country for work in 2015 and came back in 2017. Just in that time I couldn't believe how much '90s Japanese sports cars skyrocketed in price. Yes, the AW11 also shot up quite a bit during that time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been offered 10K for mine, looks good but has a few issues, and they didn't care about that. It's a work in progress and not for sale. Still, 10k for a little car that originally sold for about 8k new is not bad.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
I've been offered 10K for mine, looks good but has a few issues, and they didn't care about that. It's a work in progress and not for sale. Still, 10k for a little car that originally sold for about 8k new is not bad.
MK1s sold for more than $8k. NADA shows 1985 models original MSRP was $10,999.00. I think my '85 total price was just over $13k. I bought it in '90 but the po had the original sticker for it. At my local dealer a loaded '89 SC sold for $24k

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Lets keep in mind inflation, though.
8 grand in [dont know what year yours is, lets just say 1988 for this exercise] is 20 grand in today's time.
"Only" losing half the value in over 30 years of use is pretty dang good though

41 - 60 of 80 Posts