MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a problem with my mr2 and I don't know what is causing it.

When going 90+ kmh in right turns I get really really bad wheel wobble, the car basically becomes undrivable.

I also get a bit of wheel wobble going 100+ kmh but that's not nearly as bad.

The front tires have been replaced recently, the suspension was replaced with koni suspension last year, the steering rack was replaced two years ago, all the bushings and bearings have recently been replaced so I have no idea what the problem could be :/

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ok so I have a problem with my mr2 and I don't know what is causing it.

When going 90+ kmh in right turns I get really really bad wheel wobble, the car basically becomes undrivable.

I also get a bit of wheel wobble going 100+ kmh but that's not nearly as bad.

The front tires have been replaced recently, the suspension was replaced with koni suspension last year, the steering rack was replaced two years ago, all the bushings and bearings have recently been replaced so I have no idea what the problem could be :/
Ball joints maybe. Have you replaced them ?

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
You're overlooking the tires - most do. Just because they're new, doesn't mean they aren't out of round. It's a good bet that's what it is. Keep in mind that tires are large inaccurate balloons.

If it was me, I'd go back to the place that mounted the tires and not take the car back until they've balanced them to an inch of their life (at multiple speeds)..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced them today and it didn't change anything so I'm almost 100% sure it's not the tires. The old tires were just as bad as the new ones, and only in right turns.

I'll try to replace the front wheel bearings some day and see if that helps. I couldn't feel any play in them but it's the only thing I could think of.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,732 Posts
A bad wheel bearing can usually be diagnosed by physically grabbing the tire on either side and moving it. Or grabbing at the top and pulling in/out while you listen/feel for a clunking.
Did you replace the tie-rod ends, both inner and outer?
Have you double checked all suspension bolts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I have replaced the tie rods and the suspension bolts are tight.

I'll probably just take apart the whole front end this weekend and try to see if I find anything broken

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yeah I have replaced the tie rods and the suspension bolts are tight.

I'll probably just take apart the whole front end this weekend and try to see if I find anything broken
Don’t we all love to resolve the little ghosts in our 30 yr old plus car and it’s such a satisfaction when it’s fixed? No sarcasm here.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I just started experiencing the same issue. The only thing I have not replaced over the years has been my power steering rack. Hopefully I have time to look this stuff over this weekend.

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
I wouldn't be 100% sure even if the tires were replaced. Replace one funny tire with another, very common - especially w/ post-COVID QA issues. In my experience, if the shimmy is at a certain velocity or when turning within a mid-speed sweeper, it's more than likely the tire or the wheel.

Speaking of which, there's also the wheels. Maybe one (or two) have a warp. I know this option isn't open to everyone, but whenever I develop a shimmy (usually bi-annually), I slap on my other set of wheels to test. In my case, the shimmy always goes away. That means it's either the tire or the wheel (for me, it's always the tire & I need yet another balancing).

·
Registered
1991 SW20 Turbo T-Top
31 Posts
Steering wheel shake could also be a fluid pressure issue. I'm not very well versed in our electro-hydraulic steering but I would check for any obvious damage to the harnesses in the frunk area and check your ps fluid level. You can also run the computer steering diagnostics if you have a paperclip and some spare time.

Also highly advised that you inspect the inner sidewalls of your front tires plus the suspension for a clearance issue.

This is of course assuming you have already jacked up your front end and given the front wheels a shakedown. It would be silly to do all of that if you have a junk tie rod end. With no weight on the wheel just grab the tire on either side and shake it back and forth like you're trying to to get a stuck wheel off. If you hear a knocking while moving it side to side or up and down that's the ticket.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I had this known issue on 2 MR2s and another friend had the same issue on his. Steering starts shaking above 70mph. A mechanic simply balanced my tires with a calibrated balancing machine. Problem went away like magic. He told me most tire shops don’t maintain their balancing machines and go out of calibration. For most cars that’s ok but the mr2 is very sensitive because there’s so little weight above the front tires. I can recommend the shop in SoCal (not sure where you are).
Good luck,
Rami

1 - 20 of 21 Posts